cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAPITAL ONE SECURED OFFICIALLY GRADUATED TO UNSECURED TODAY!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CAPITAL ONE SECURED OFFICIALLY GRADUATED TO UNSECURED TODAY!

Just thought I shared some good news about my credit journey, my secured card Cap1  just graduated today. I logged into my account earlier and noticed that I got a credit balance of $200, it was indeed a refund issued for the deposit. I was suprised to receive the credit first before any email confirmation, just got the email right now and it makes it all official that I have indeed now graduated to a regular Platinum Mastercard, next goal is to request that upgrade to a rewards earning QS1. myunsecured.jpg

Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CAPITAL ONE SECURED OFFICIALLY GRADUATED TO UNSECURED TODAY!

Congrats!  

Don't forget you can now go to the Product Change link on this sub and see if you can convert it to a QS cashback card.

How many statements cut before upgrade?

Also I'm not sure if it's recommended but some people suggest doing a CLI request online before product change request.

Message 2 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats!  

Don't forget you can now go to the Product Change link on this sub and see if you can convert it to a QS cashback card.

How many statements cut before upgrade?

Also I'm not sure if it's recommended but some people suggest doing a CLI request online before product change request.

Thank you ABCD2199, it was 11 statements in total. About the CLI request, I have not read any success stories of successful CLI's post graduation, so I may need to wait it out a bit. Perhaps wait till the 12th statement cut and will try for the CLI in order to provide some more data points for anyone interested. See what happens. 

Message 3 of 42
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats.. Don't hear about many Cap1 Secured card graduations..  Enjoy it!

Message 4 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One's CLI is a soft pull so it's no danger there.  And the product change is also free of hard inquiries and keeps your account age (and I think number too).

11 statements is good!  I got approved for my Capital One secured in March 2017 but I didn't fully fund it until the deadline (July 2nd) so my first statement wasn't until July.  I figure I won't get unsecured for 11 statements which will be somet time in June!  Since I have cash back cards now, I don't use my Platinum secured at all, and $3000 sits in secured deposit.  Once it unsecures I will combine it with my QS to get a bigger credit limit for sure.

Message 5 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Congrats.. Don't hear about many Cap1 Secured card graduations..  Enjoy it!

Thank you CC, I know, I have been lurking here for a while and the last post I've seen about this subject was in March so I figured a new update will provide some more people with hope of it being an actual possibility. 

Message 6 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Capital One's CLI is a soft pull so it's no danger there.  And the product change is also free of hard inquiries and keeps your account age (and I think number too).

11 statements is good!  I got approved for my Capital One secured in March 2017 but I didn't fully fund it until the deadline (July 2nd) so my first statement wasn't until July.  I figure I won't get unsecured for 11 statements which will be somet time in June!  Since I have cash back cards now, I don't use my Platinum secured at all, and $3000 sits in secured deposit.  Once it unsecures I will combine it with my QS to get a bigger credit limit for sure.

I will try, BTW I donated to the Charity linked to Alliant per your suggestion. Just waiting for my account to age another month so my longest credit would reflect 12 mos. as opposed to 11 before applying for the secured loan. As for this Platinum, I think the usage did help me to get the card to graduate. I never really put any large spend on it besides using it to get my reports occasionally and Netflix subscriptions since I acquired some cashback cards, but kept using it for small purchases. You probably will have that card graduate in June. I will update you with whatever happens to my CLI request. 

Message 7 of 42
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Hey thats great!! Congrats on the upgrade for sure!! PC that to the QS!!Smiley Happy Enjoy, this will open up doors for you.
Message 8 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I tried the CL Increase but it's a no go. Interesting reason thoughcli.cap1.jpg

Message 9 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizza1 wrote:
Hey thats great!! Congrats on the upgrade for sure!! PC that to the QS!!Smiley Happy Enjoy, this will open up doors for you.

Thank you P1, when I spoke to CS they said that they review accounts periodically and was asked to check back for any offers to PC that to the QS. Is that true? Did I really need to wait for an offer? Is it too early to request for it? 

Message 10 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.