Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAPONE CLs answered!

tag
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

CAPONE CLs answered!

Sooo..today I called CAP ONE to request a CLI...

I always try with this card because I don't want to cancel it as it is my oldest account. I like the card and the rewards (MTV Visa) but the CL sucks!! Anyway I tried EVERYTHING...Reiterated that I was a on time paying customer, never paid APR, stays under the limit, never maxed the card out...the agent stays "Let me check your credit to see what I can do!" *waiting waiting waiting* 5 minutes later the agent comes back and says my request was not approved for reason unknown. The agent said he couldn't release why it was not approved and after 5 more minutes of chatting with the agent about my credit worthiness...the rep broke down and said the lack of increases were not due to my credit report or account history b/c it was relatively good but due to the type of card I had. Apparently this whole time...I've had a CREDIT STEP CARD...which is basically a rebuilder card that gradually rewards customers who do well with the card. The MTV Visa card is not upgradeable (I tried that too). Only option is to apply for a different card within their network to escape it. The only thing they really could offer me was a APR reduction...24.9 to 20.9...not a big difference really. Apparently my account is due for an auto increase soon, says the agent. Got the card in 2010 and only had a CLI in 2010...lets see how long much longer I have to wait before I get the CL I want.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: CAPONE CLs answered!

Every card that isn't one of their "Excellent" cards is a "Credit Step" card. You get a CLI after you're 6th statement...and then you're done Smiley Tongue 

Message 2 of 16
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

So the agent was basically yanking my chain about another increase down the road? I'm at $750 still after 2 years...

BTW never knew this!! I would have never applied!!

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 3 of 16
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@maiden_girl wrote:

I always try with this card because I don't want to cancel it as it is my oldest account. I like the card and the rewards (MTV Visa) but the CL sucks!! Anyway I tried EVERYTHING...Reiterated that I was a on time paying customer, never paid APR, stays under the limit, never maxed the card out...the agent stays "Let me check your credit to see what I can do!" *waiting waiting waiting* 5 minutes later the agent comes back and says my request was not approved for reason unknown. The agent said he couldn't release why it was not approved and after 5 more minutes of chatting with the agent about my credit worthiness...the rep broke down and said the lack of increases were not due to my credit report or account history b/c it was relatively good but due to the type of card I had. Apparently this whole time...I've had a CREDIT STEP CARD...which is basically a rebuilder card that gradually rewards customers who do well with the card. The MTV Visa card is not upgradeable (I tried that too). Only option is to apply for a different card within their network to escape it. The only thing they really could offer me was a APR reduction...24.9 to 20.9...not a big difference really. Apparently my account is due for an auto increase soon, says the agent. Got the card in 2010 and only had a CLI in 2010...lets see how long much longer I have to wait before I get the CL I want.

You have a better chance of seeing god then getting a Cap1 CLI.............statistics have proven this. Many of man/woman have went to the grave and left the Cap1 CLI promise in the will for their grandkids.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 16
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@maiden_girl wrote:

So the agent was basically yanking my chain about another increase down the road? I'm at $750 still after 2 years...

BTW never knew this!! I would have never applied!!

Some people get really lucky, others don't. I got lucky and got a great starting CL on my cap1 even though it is a credit step card. Other people i've seen go from 500-750 to 6.5k 

the other 99% of people stay at 500-750 forever 

Message 5 of 16
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@maiden_girl wrote:

Exact same story with me. I finally got tired of their antics and closed both Cap ones. I had 2 credit step cards and had been told, like you, that they would increase over time, that there were steps that I later found out there weren't (!)... OMG, I could go on and on. They also offered me a lower % on  my $500 Cap One instead of a PC or CLI that I was asking for. Seriously. It's a $500 CL and I have always PIF. What makes you think I want a lower fricking interest rate?! It's a pitiful excuse for trying to keep me as a customer. And their "app for the card you want" with 3 HPs was a no-sell as well. I'd say you have a better chance of becoming queen of England than getting a CLI on that card. Smiley Surprised

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 6 of 16
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

Icant wait to get rid of my cap 1's cards

Message 7 of 16
gettnthere
Established Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

@maiden_girl wrote:

Exact same story with me. I finally got tired of their antics and closed both Cap ones. I had 2 credit step cards and had been told, like you, that they would increase over time, that there were steps that I later found out there weren't (!)... OMG, I could go on and on. They also offered me a lower % on  my $500 Cap One instead of a PC or CLI that I was asking for. Seriously. It's a $500 CL and I have always PIF. What makes you think I want a lower fricking interest rate?! It's a pitiful excuse for trying to keep me as a customer. And their "app for the card you want" with 3 HPs was a no-sell as well. I'd say you have a better chance of becoming queen of England than getting a CLI on that card. Smiley Surprised

+1000, Smiley Very Happy

Starting Score: EQ 609, EX 633(Fako), TU 700
Current Score: EQ 699, EX 758, TU 733
Goal Score: 720 across the board
Garden Club Member-GC Challenge: App free since 10/31/12 Smiley Wink
Message 8 of 16
firesoul453
Contributor

If cap1 wasn't my oldest card, I'd canceled them over the credit limit a long time ago! Its just ridiculus! 

My ultimate credit wish,
a JP Morgan Palladium card
Message 9 of 16
amercnchopz34
Established Contributor

@maiden_girl wrote:

DONT  believe an increase is coming...they tol me he samething .....2 yrs ago........glad i was not holding my breath

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.