Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CARD Act & Upgrading Existing Accts?

tag
mxp114
Valued Contributor

CARD Act & Upgrading Existing Accts?

Rep from Chase just told me that the CARD Act prevents them from upgrading or performing any product changes for min of 12 months. Does it really? I can't find that part in this legislation. Besides why would Congress enact legislation that prevents you from initiating an upgrade from a Saphhire to Sapphire Preferred card for 12 months? Just trying to understand :/

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
CS800
Super Contributor

Re: CARD Act & Upgrading Existing Accts?

Thats the part that I havent found either. I remember someone posting that they PC a card (both no AF) But this legislation doesnt make sense. There are way more things that this legislation could have done for the consumers.

Maybe someone on here can answer this logic.

Message 2 of 17
flowfaster
Established Contributor

I also just tried to PC from an Amazon Visa to a Freedom and she said it was possible but the Card Act Prevents her from PCing my account for 1 year.  So she said try again when my account is 1 year old.

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 3 of 17
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

This is a chicken (IMO) response by banks.

The Credit CARD Act prevents random rate-jacking (rate increases) on CC accounts. If you want to upgrade to a card with a higher APR, your account is still technically the same account, so the banks say that they can't change the card, because it would result in a rate-jack.

Lawyers, lawyers...

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 17
mxp114
Valued Contributor

I figured this is a case of Chase applying the CARD Act too broadly, probably more expansively than Congress ever intended. I doubt the legislative goal was to prevent cardmembers from upgrading from Disney to Disney Premier in a few months or Amazon to Freedom, etc. So I guess either Congress will have to clarify intent or a federal court interprets the law in a way that allows banks to PC at consumer request? I don't see either happen so I guess Chase will enforce this silly 12 month rule.

Message 5 of 17
CS800
Super Contributor

I think in chase's interpretation of 'rate jacking' , they are already assuming that a PC or upgrade will mostlly lead to a higher APR.

Message 6 of 17
Juan123
Established Contributor

so what if you're PCing to a card with a lower rate? it's not rate jacking.. its the opposite... so it wouldn't apply?

Starting Score: 575 (As Of Early 2011)
Current Score: TU: 767 EQ: 732 EX; 742 (As Of Feb 2012)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Long way to go ^_^
Message 7 of 17
CS800
Super Contributor

@Juan123 wrote:

so what if you're PCing to a card with a lower rate? it's not rate jacking.. its the opposite... so it wouldn't apply?

I think the best answer to this one would be to engage a credit analyst supervisor on this one wit hteh credit card act. Tell them what you see and your interpretation and see what they tell you. We are just guessing what Chase's logic is.

Message 8 of 17
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

I believe this is the part of the Credit Card Act they use:

‘‘SEC. 172. ADDITIONAL LIMITS ON INTEREST RATE INCREASES.

‘‘(a) LIMITATION ON INCREASES WITHIN FIRST YEAR.—Except in the case of an increase described in paragraph (1), (2), (3), or (4) of section 171(b), no increase in any annual percentage rate, fee, or finance charge on any credit card account under an open end consumer credit plan shall be effective before the end of the 1-year period beginning on the date on which the account is opened.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 9 of 17
mxp114
Valued Contributor

Thanks Marine, so I understand why you can't go from Disney to Disney Premier due to the "increase" of the AF however why not Freedom to Sapphire? Also that text is pretty broad, it doesn't preclude any and all changes and I think could be interpreted in a way that permits a consumer initiated change that would result in APR/AF changes.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.