Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CB rewards cards?

tag
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

CB rewards cards?

I got my extra CB % with Discover after the year and got $57.87 or whatever which is nice considering I never really put much spending onto the card other than a $700 charge for 2 round trip tickets to LA a few months ago. Looked into the rewards and ended up getting a gift card to American Eagle for $50 with only using $40. Sent the rest to my checking account.... Anyways I am wondering Discover is the only one who actually gives you Free $$ sort of when you redeem for Gift cards ?

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CB rewards cards?

@Closingracer99 wrote:

I got my extra CB % with Discover after the year and got $57.87 or whatever which is nice considering I never really put much spending onto the card other than a $700 charge for 2 round trip tickets to LA a few months ago. Looked into the rewards and ended up getting a gift card to American Eagle for $50 with only using $40. Sent the rest to my checking account.... Anyways I am wondering Discover is the only one who actually gives you Free $$ sort of when you redeem for Gift cards ?

No, lots of other cards allow you to redeem cashback in the form of direct deposit, check, statement credit, and/or gift cards.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

No, lots of other cards allow you to redeem cashback in the form of direct deposit, check, statement credit, and/or gift cards.

OP's asking if Discover is the only one that gives gift cards at the kind of discount he got - like a $50 gift card for $40 and the like.

It's a good question.

I know some cards do much better on conversion for certain things but I'm not sure if there's another with gift cards at a discount like Discover does.

Message 3 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

OP's asking if Discover is the only one that gives gift cards at the kind of discount he got - like a $50 gift card for $40 and the like.

It's a good question.

I know some cards do much better on conversion for certain things but I'm not sure if there's another with gift cards at a discount like Discover does.

Issuers sometimes have sales on a few cards from time to time (I've had that with Citi and once with Cap One, a long time ago).   But I don't think the range compares to waht DIscover IT offers (I only have IT Miles, which doesn't offer gift card redemption)

Message 4 of 10
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

You highlighted a section of my post and didn't bother to even read it.... I wasn't asking about that at all.... I was talking about use $20 and get $25 in Gift cards specifically 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
Message 5 of 10
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

It's a good question.

Issuers sometimes have sales on a few cards from time to time (I've had that with Citi and once with Cap One, a long time ago).   But I don't think the range compares to waht DIscover IT offers (I only have IT Miles, which doesn't offer gift card redemption)

I know Citi does from time to time but I am not wasting my points from my premier on Gift cards since you can get a little bit better value using them elsewhere.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

It's a good question.

Discover's range is pretty impressive.  I'm scrolling through it now and there are 143 different gift card offerings, and it looks like they are all sold at a discount - anything from 10% off ($45 for a $50 gift card) to 50% off ($20 for a $40 gift card, mostly at rental car places and cruise lines, looks like).

Message 7 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

It's a good question.

I know Citi does from time to time but I am not wasting my points from my premier on Gift cards since you can get a little bit better value using them elsewhere.

So you already knew that Discover wasn't the only one then!

Message 8 of 10
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I was aware of Discover doing it, but I did not know Citi did this.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 9 of 10
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

It's a good question.

So you already knew that Discover wasn't the only one then!

I was aware of Citi doing it at limited times but it's not the ideal point value with my premier card. Yeah it's 1 point = $0.01 for gift cards but even with the "specials" its not much better. I am curious if there is programs similar to Discover has.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.