Established Member
DrBlackBelt

CC App Advice Needed

Soon my Ch13 BK and all baddies should finally be gone from my CR's, and I expect my FICO scores to be in the mid-700's at that time.  I've been rebuilding modestly (single OB CC, utilization < 9%, PIF) for about one year.  Additional details regarding my credit profile are as follows:  no lates, AAoA around 9 years, 4 - 5 inquiries per CR (2 aging off at end of 2011), 2 - 3 open accounts (mortgage, student loan, OB CC), about 10 closed accounts, Chase and BoA included in the BK (no longer on CR's).  Once my CR's are clean, I would like to go on a mini-app spree to acquire a couple of store cards (Target, Lowes) and a rewards card or two (Citi Forward, Amex Blue Cash Preferred, Amex Zync?, Discover More?, Chase Freedom?).  Mainly, I am seeking advice on a rewards card strategy.  I really want to have the Citi Forward and Amex Blue Cash Preferred, but I'm not sure what my chances are right now.  Should I try for the Zync, More, and Freedom first and use them for awhile to establish a little more recent history?  Or should I go straight for the Forward and Blue Cash Preferred?  Thoughts?

Starting Score: EQ 683, TU 617, EX ?
Current Score: EQ 716, TU 785, EX ?
Goal Score: 750+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
tntexans72

Re: CC App Advice Needed

DrBlackBelt wrote:

Soon my Ch13 BK and all baddies should finally be gone from my CR's, and I expect my FICO scores to be in the mid-700's at that time.  I've been rebuilding modestly (single OB CC, utilization < 9%, PIF) for about one year.  Additional details regarding my credit profile are as follows:  no lates, AAoA around 9 years, 4 - 5 inquiries per CR (2 aging off at end of 2011), 2 - 3 open accounts (mortgage, student loan, OB CC), about 10 closed accounts, Chase and BoA included in the BK (no longer on CR's).  Once my CR's are clean, I would like to go on a mini-app spree to acquire a couple of store cards (Target, Lowes) and a rewards card or two (Citi Forward, Amex Blue Cash Preferred, Amex Zync?, Discover More?, Chase Freedom?).  Mainly, I am seeking advice on a rewards card strategy.  I really want to have the Citi Forward and Amex Blue Cash Preferred, but I'm not sure what my chances are right now.  Should I try for the Zync, More, and Freedom first and use them for awhile to establish a little more recent history?  Or should I go straight for the Forward and Blue Cash Preferred?  Thoughts?

I would app for the Rewards CCs with no AF first....like a Chase Freedom as one example. Wait off on the store cards cause each hard IQ will count against you each time you app. For example, say you app for 2 store cards first and got approved, than app for Chase Freedom. Chase will see that you have already apped for 2 store cards = higher risk due to you trying to obtain more credit, hence...giving you a lower limit - say $3K vs. say $5K if you were to app for the Chase Freedom first. It's not a proven theory but go for the big bank Rewards CC as your first app...than slowly trickle down to 1-2 store cards as your last app.

Valued Contributor
tntexans72

Just remember...if you have low util % (less than 15%), a good AAoA, no baddies, high Fico score 720 plus...your more than likely to get a Rewards CC with a high CL. All those criterias have to be met once you apply. Bottom line, you want to have the best optimization on all your CRs to obtain a low apr % and high CL from a prime card. Just be patience and the timing has to be right on your CRs. It's worth the wait IMHO.

Established Contributor
UFGuy2006

tntexans72 wrote:

Just remember...if you have low util % (less than 15%), a good AAoA, no baddies, high Fico score 720 plus...your more than likely to get a Rewards CC with a high CL. All those criterias have to be met once you apply. Bottom line, you want to have the best optimization on all your CRs to obtain a low apr % and high CL from a prime card. Just be patience and the timing has to be right on your CRs. It's worth the wait IMHO.

Agreed. Give it time.

FICO: EX: 756 (8/14); TU: 758 (9/14); EQ 732 (8/14)

In My Wallet: Amex X 5 | Barclays X 3 | BOA X 1 | CapOne X 3 | Chase X 2 | Citi X 6 | DCU X 1 | Discover X 1 | Fidelity X 1 | Fifth Third X 1 | PenFed X 1 | PSECU X 1 | Sams Club MC X 1 | Target RedCard X 1 | USAA X 2 | US Bank X 1 | Walmart X 1 | Wells Fargo X 1 = 33 Cards

Holding off apps until the end of the year! Wish me luck!

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+