Valued Member
newFICOwatcher

CC Balance Goes Up and So Does EQ?

I have a CapOne with a $1k limit and another card with a $2500 limit. The CapOne had a balance of $207 last month and now has a balance of $789. Other card (Wings Financial) is at $1900 or so.  Yes, high utilization. However, I just got a SW alert that my score went UP 8pts today (due to an increase in a account balance) to 661! How would that happen if the utilization went up?

Don't get me wrong...I'm excited to be at the 660+ area because of what it means for a mortage loan, but just curious why the score went up. Also, I'm paying down the two cards to the 1%-9% utilization mark by the end of the month. I am planning on buying a house in early July and the FICO simulator gives me a minimum 40pt boost for the utilization decrease....700 club here I come!

TU - 607
EQ - 661
EX - 715
Valued Contributor
debtisgood

Re: CC Balance Goes Up and So Does EQ?

Those are the balances reporting on your credit reports or they are just your current balances?
Valued Contributor
TheNewWorldMan

The balances may not have reported, or a couple of your accounts aged a bit and that increase outweighed the utilization increase.

Or maybe it's the recent lack of solar activity. Who knows with FICO scores?
- - - -
in a credit-scoring postnuclear Stone Age...
Valued Member
newFICOwatcher

The new balances were on my CR's that I just pulled the other day. CapOne told me a couple days ago that they report on the 26th of the month and my Wings card reports "at the beginning of the month".

It's gonna be a moot point anyways. I just made a payment to bring my Wings card down to 9% utilization and will not be charging anything else on it until after I close on a house.
Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup

A lot of times the reasons that appear on a Scorewatch alert are comically irrelevant. It's more likely that an account or a baddie had a birthday, or another of those quiet background changes.

Congrats on reducing the other util and the nice score jump!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Valued Member
newFICOwatcher

Sounds good. Either way, I'm amped!

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}