Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC Canceled

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CC Canceled

I just received a letter from Cap One, they say they have suspended my CC because I havent used it for an extended period of time. I had this card since '97 and was my first CC on my own. I have 2 other CC. I havent used this card for 5 years (I think). I have a better APR on the other CC. I didnt realize they can cancel CC if you dont use them for a while!

My question is, what should I expect?

Will this hurt my FICO? I have a FICO of 798-818.

Should I call them? I figured if I did they would just tell me I have to open up another account.

Should I just open a CC with another company? Would it help with available credit?

What should I do?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CC Canceled

The closing will hurt your utilization, but if you stay under 10 percent Util it won't hurt your score that much, but being your oldest card it is my understanding that it will hurt your average age of accounts, although I am not sure what type of score drop that produces. With your scores though you should be able to get another card easy from what I have read. .

edit: please see cobaltnv's post below. Age is not affected until a long time after an account is closed. If you carry balances, and the CL of the closed card was high, your scores can be hurt.
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 12-23-2008 04:38 PM
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the reply. But I dont understand utilization. How do you stay under 10%. What does that mean?
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

For example if you have $1000 worth of available credit and you use $100 or under you are using less than 10 percent of your available credit. That is a good thing. But if your available credit is $1000 and you use $866 (86 percent utilization) that is bad and can hurt your score.
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

ok, I get it now. Yes I diffiantly stay under 10%. I hate using credit cards anyway (had some major debt along time ago), guess thats why I didnt use that one for so long. One thing I did notice about my FICO, it said I can approve it if I had a longer credit history. So this being my first card it might affect my scrore? If you were me would you get a different card though?
Message 5 of 15
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

If the letter says the card is "suspended" not "cancelled", you may be able to reopen it, put a monthly charitable deduction on it to keep it alive, and pif every month
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 6 of 15
cobaltnv
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
The closing will hurt your utilization, but if you stay under 10 percent Util it won't hurt your score that much, but being your oldest card it is my understanding that it will hurt your average age of accounts, although I am not sure what type of score drop that produces. With your scores though you should be able to get another card easy from what I have read. .
Closing your oldest credit card will not have any affect on your AAoA for 7-10 years. Your closed account will remain on your credit report and continue to age until is falls of (in 7-10 years depending on the CRA). Adding a new credit card to replace the closed one WILL effect your AAoA as the new account will start with an age of 0.
Cheers 

TU 810: EQ 813: EX 814 (9/16/09--Loan officer pull)

Helpful Threads
Frequently Requested Threads
Understanding your Fico Score
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, so it won't actually hurt until a new card is open. Thats actually a good thing to know. Smiley Wink
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

well I just called them, cant open the account. I can only open a new one. Thanks everyone for your help! Since I found out I have a good FICO score I just want to keep it that way. Im still learning about these things. Since Im on here, how many cards is a good number to have? Or does the amount of available credit matter more? Whats a good amount? Now that Im down to 2 cards im just curious.
Message 9 of 15
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

Definitely call them up and ask if they'll reopen the same account. No sense losing a good card you already have.
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.