Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC - Do and Don't

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: CC - Do and Don't

@ls2016 wrote:

"I know some of the basic or standard do's and dont's (D/D's) in regards to using credit cards to maximize on your credit scores and reports such as"

The OP said, "to maximize" longtimelurker. Utilizing credit in and of itself is WORK period!

But part of credit knowledge is to realize that you don't need to maximize scores every month, only when you about to apply for something significant.  At that point, your advice is fine, but doing it every month is unnecessary.  And, depending on the card, financially unsound if you have to use a card that earns less just because the 'good" card is in that period.

Message 11 of 30
ls2016
Frequent Contributor

Well, I do it every month and it works for me. For instance, Capital One QS is due on the 25th, I let it report a $10 balance and do not use it again until the statement cuts on the 28th. One month, I used it on the 26th and the balance from the purchase made on the 26th of $200 reported on a $1100 card, which I didn't like. But anyway...I understand your point. At the end of the day, the OP will take your advice or mine or both or none Smiley Happy....either way thanks for sharing the wisdom!

Current FICO 8s: Ex 768, Tu 741, Eq 741
Current FICO 9s: Ex 775, Tu ?? Eq 781
Total TLs: $120,000
8 (30-60 day) mortgage lates and 2 (30 day) auto lates remain from Jan., Feb. 2016
Current Mortgage Ex. Fico 2 787
Message 12 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Themanwhocan has great resources here-

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Cash-Back-credit-card-charts/td-p/4004725

I also agree with Joe to keep it simple and not overload them with too much info. Don't overspend and make timely payments.

Message 13 of 30
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

It mainly comes down to a few of your points, don't miss payments and don't be late.

It would be my guess that these two overlap.

Message 14 of 30
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

It mainly comes down to a few of your points, don't miss payments and don't be late.

It would be my guess that these two overlap.

Yes, I thought that when I saw the original list, but I guess defaulting (at some point never paying) is slightly different from paying late.

Message 15 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Agreed use the KISS Method. Keep it Simple Stupid or Silly or Sassy or what have you. Always pay on time and good credit will get established. I agree tgeres nothing wrong with buying something and making monthly payments to hrlp establish that you CAN make timely payments. Its not the end of the world if you pay a little interest contrary to myFico belief. I did this with my Fingerhut account and im darn proud of how far ive come in rebuilding or as i can say building my credit to a respectible level. Best of luck to your brotherSmiley Happy

If all else fails introduce him to myFicoSmiley Happy

The question is: did that really help, i.e. do lenders really check that you made regular ontime payments outside the whole FICO scoring process?  They may certainly look at how much was purchased, but do small regular interest payments actually do anything than waste money?   

I don't think so; I think it just wastes money.  Automated processes (e.g. FICO) don't distinguish between having a balance every month or carrying a balance.  So it definately doesn't help you there.  The only way it would get noticed is if an underwriter manually reviewed the account information.  And if I were an underwriter and I saw that the customer was stretching out payments on a small amount, I would think "either this guy doesn't have good cash flow, doesn't know how to handle money, doesn't pay attention, or is just an idiot."  And any one of those three would make me decide "this guy isn't a good risk."

Chris.

Message 16 of 30
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Just because one , or i in this case, carry a balance doesnt mean one, or i in this case, doesnt know how to handle money. Just means i need more of it lol. There are plenty of people with lots of money, high income, here included, that have bks and late payments and other assorted baddies that shows that are just as much a risk as someone who carries a balance. Orherwise money would equate to perfection. I wouldnt call strecthing out payments on a small balance the act of idiot either because whether one agrees with it or not, one can make a consxious decision to make those streched out payments to show themselves they can make payments and then move onto bigger things. Just my 2 centsSmiley Happy
Message 17 of 30
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

@ls2016 wrote:

Well, I do it every month and it works for me. For instance, Capital One QS is due on the 25th, I let it report a $10 balance and do not use it again until the statement cuts on the 28th. One month, I used it on the 26th and the balance from the purchase made on the 26th of $200 reported on a $1100 card, which I didn't like. But anyway...I understand your point. At the end of the day, the OP will take your advice or mine or both or none Smiley Happy....either way thanks for sharing the wisdom!

So he can take the advice of someone with an 850 or 650 fico? Should be an easy choice.

Sorry, establishing good credit isn't hard work. Mostly it takes time and good judgement. 

Message 18 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Turbobuick wrote:

So he can take the advice of someone with an 850 or 650 fico? Should be an easy choice.

Not necessarily.  This is a huge generalization here.  There are people out there with near-perfect FICO scores that know absolutely nothing about credit, why they have a near perfect score and don't have the ability to give anyone advice.  Conversely there are people with lower FICO scores that have studied the topic countless hours and understand the ins and outs of credit extremely well and in turn can offer great advice.

It's kind of like the saying in sports that you learn more from your losses than your wins. 

Message 19 of 30
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Turbobuick wrote:

Not necessarily.  This is a huge generalization here.  There are people out there with near-perfect FICO scores that know absolutely nothing about credit, why they have a near perfect score and don't have the ability to give anyone advice.  Conversely there are people with lower FICO scores that have studied the topic countless hours and understand the ins and outs of credit extremely well and in turn can offer great advice.

It's kind of like the saying in sports that you learn more from your losses than your wins. 

And of course the other way round: people with great scores who know what they are doing, and those with less good scores who give advice based on little understanding.   So in the end you have to decide who to believe.  

Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.