Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC Fraud !

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CC Fraud !

I have email alerts that notify with transactions over 500. on April 12 at 11:05 am I recieved an email that there was a purchase for $2,816.80. I go onto the Discover website and see the transaction at THE UPS STORE #XXXX PORTLAND, OR  while I'm sitting at my desk in Seattle. I try to see what I should do, I read that to dispute a transaction with a merchant you have to wait till the transaction posts, while this is still processing...

I google the address and find a number to call a girl answers. I tell her I think someone made a credit card with my info because I'm looking at my discover credit card and made a purchase of $2,816.80. The girl instantly remembers the transaction and said she remembered the guy. I was pretty frustrated at this point, I say to the girl how do make this large of a purchase without asking to see notification, because the guy handing over a card with a girls name wasn't sending off any alarms...

Next. I get another email notification that another purchases above 500 was made on the discover card for $1,698.27 at the THE UPS STORE #XXXX MILWAUKIE. I panick and freeze/shut down the card, file a claim of credit card fruede with my credit card company. Call them, talk with the freud department. My bases are covered. So then I google the address of the UPS store, find a number to call and talk to a young man, he told me he still had the package it wasn't due to ship for another hour. He told me two black men in a Uhaul pulled up to the UPS and shipped 2-3 very large next air packages. He tells me the sending address. Name Justin Spud Obviously a fake name to another UPS in San Bruno Cali 
Message 1 of 44
43 REPLIES 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CC Fraud !

I don't understand how can they be in Portland and Milwaukee at the same time they're thousands of miles apart...

Also, I'm pretty sure there are new consumer protection laws that require ID verification for a transaction exceeding 2k I've made over 2k purchases at multiple stores and they ALL wrote down my DL info.

Not to downplay what happened at all, I'm sorry that happened it sounds like someone cloned your chip card. They're actually easier to steal than before.

First call the bank, cancel the cards so there can't be more charges made. Next call your local Police Department to file a fraud report.

Who pays $1,600 to send some packages? Jeeze even if it's 1,000 lbs that's ridiculous.
Message 2 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also you can DEFINITELY file it with your bank even though it's only pending. The sooner you notify them the better.
Message 3 of 44
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

Matt, is it possible to clone a EMV?. I was denied my claim from Blispay, until I told them to ask the store to verify it was not me making purchase via security camera (they also pumped gas with it, so I hope they got the license on camera).. they eventually told me they accepted my claim it was over $1200..

Why they denied me at first was cause the lady said EMV chips could 100% NOT be copied.
Message 4 of 44
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

I'm kind of surprised this didn't get flagged as abnormal spending unless you typically use UPS Store for major purchases?

Chase would have shut this down and made a phone call before letting it go through.  I tried a double swipe somewhere once and they locked the card down and wouldn't process the 2nd swipe.  Obviously hard to be 1500 miles apart and physically swipe a chip card as well.  I mean SEA to PDX isn't that far but, MKE isn't even in the same neck of the woods.  

I'm curious as to what the hell they're shipping that's costing thousands of dollars and why there's multiple people involved using UPS Stores exclusively for this fraud.  At least you caught it quick enough to trigger the clerk's memory to maybe report it and potentially reverse the charges.  Hope their security cameras were working as well.  

Message 5 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditplz wrote:
Matt, is it possible to clone a EMV?. I was denied my claim from Blispay, until I told them to ask the store to verify it was not me making purchase via security camera (they also pumped gas with it, so I hope they got the license on camera).. they eventually told me they accepted my claim it was over $1200..

Why they denied me at first was cause the lady said EMV chips could 100% NOT be copied.

In reading around on various Blogs, it seems Bliss Pay may have some customer service personnel that do not understand the law and what actions they should take in case of fraud. Sit on their head if necessary!

Message 6 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's terrible that your card is being misused but those instant notifications ate one of the things I love about Discover. You did a great job jumping into action by calling these places and getting the info right away.

I'd love to know what the whole mega-shipping at UPS is about. Seems orchestrated if that's what they did with the multiple payments rather than 1 shipment and 1 big screen tv.
Message 7 of 44
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I don't understand how can they be in Portland and Milwaukee at the same time they're thousands of miles apart...

Also, I'm pretty sure there are new consumer protection laws that require ID verification for a transaction exceeding 2k I've made over 2k purchases at multiple stores and they ALL wrote down my DL info.

Not to downplay what happened at all, I'm sorry that happened it sounds like someone cloned your chip card. They're actually easier to steal than before.

First call the bank, cancel the cards so there can't be more charges made. Next call your local Police Department to file a fraud report.

Who pays $1,600 to send some packages? Jeeze even if it's 1,000 lbs that's ridiculous.

THere is no such law. Additionally, I would have a MAJOR issue if ANYONE wrote down my DL# at a store - that just makes ID theft even easier (although here in Florida it isnt like it is hard to figure out someone's DL # as long as you have their DOB) 

It's possible the card was cloned, having nothing to do with the chip - What do you do if the chip won't read in a card? swipe it!!

Visa: If the card is signed, the merchant is not allowed to require ID. If the card is unsigned, the merchant must ask that the card be signed and that the customer provides government ID.

MasterCard: If the card is signed, the merchant is not allowed to require ID. If the card is unsigned, the merchant must ask that the card be signed and that the customer provides government ID.

American Express: There is no rule governing the requirement for IDs -- American Express simply wants the merchant to verify that the customer is the actual cardholder.

Discover: Under suspicion that a card is invalid, the merchant can request ID. If the card is unsigned, the merchant must ask for two pieces of ID, one f which must be a government photo ID.

Also, speaking of Chase. That is one thing I LOVE about them, as well as a few other issuers - any swipe of my card over $15 and I get a text immediately. ANY manual entry at all, or mail order/online purchase also gets me a text... IF someone got a hold of my CC info, I would be all over that so fast....

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 8 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've recently set up Capital One Wallet and the Discover app on my iPhone so that I get instant notifications of any purchases made on those cards (will have to look into whether I can do the same for my BoA debit card). I'm glad you (the OP) were able to catch those fraudulent transactions right away, and I, like everyone else, am mystified as to what it is those people could have been shipping that could have cost so much to send. I wonder if there's any way to trace back the purchase history to try to figure out where the chip might have been cloned...

Message 9 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@fltireguy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

THere is no such law. Additionally, I would have a MAJOR issue if ANYONE wrote down my DL# at a store - that just makes ID theft even easier (although here in Florida it isnt like it is hard to figure out someone's DL # as long as you have their DOB) 

It's possible the card was cloned, having nothing to do with the chip - What do you do if the chip won't read in a card? swipe it!!

Visa: If the card is signed, the merchant is not allowed to require ID. If the card is unsigned, the merchant must ask that the card be signed and that the customer provides government ID.

MasterCard: If the card is signed, the merchant is not allowed to require ID. If the card is unsigned, the merchant must ask that the card be signed and that the customer provides government ID.

American Express: There is no rule governing the requirement for IDs -- American Express simply wants the merchant to verify that the customer is the actual cardholder.

Discover: Under suspicion that a card is invalid, the merchant can request ID. If the card is unsigned, the merchant must ask for two pieces of ID, one f which must be a government photo ID.

Also, speaking of Chase. That is one thing I LOVE about them, as well as a few other issuers - any swipe of my card over $15 and I get a text immediately. ANY manual entry at all, or mail order/online purchase also gets me a text... IF someone got a hold of my CC info, I would be all over that so fast....

Very good and correct info. Far too many erroneous beliefs in the credit world

Message 10 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.