Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC Limit decreased...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CC Limit decreased...

Hello, not sure if this is the right forum to post this in, but i have a question about decreased cc limits. Quick description of my situation i've been unemployed for about 6 months and as of last month i ran out of funds to continue paying my cc bills. I have 6 credit cards, 4 of which are 2 months behind. I happen to log into my citi account today and they lowered both of ccs w/ them and i now have a few bucks available on both of them. My brother is the authorized user on both accounts and he's been paying those for me, so those accounts are not delinquent . I checked my score and it did drop about 30 points on equifax because of the late report.  Is calling citi and explaining that situation pointless? The reason they gave me for the lower limt is because the balances were high on the accounts i  have w/ them. I had a 600 balance on one card that had a cc limit of 4600 and another card that had a balance about 1300 on w/ a balance of 4600. Is it worth the time to call and try to get them to raise the limits back on these cards? I understand by situation, i'm only worried now as it affects my brother's credits, because now it looks like he has 2 maxed out cards on his credit report. Any info on this would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Aahz
Established Contributor

Re: CC Limit decreased...

Only you can decide if it's worth the time to make that phone call.  Personally, I don't believe you'll be successful, but if you're really concerned about the effect of the CLD you have only your time to lose.

Your brother's credit, however is a quick fix.  Simply remove him as an authorized user and then have him dispute the tradelines as "not his" and - voila! - they'll magically disappear from his reports and his FICO will return to where it truly should be based on his own credit history.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear.  The first thing you need to do is remove your brother as AU on the cards as the maxed out card is/will impact him negatively especially if he is knew to credit.

Also, call Citi and explain your situation.  All the best.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

TY for the replies.  His credit happens to be great actually he's in the 790's...i added him as an authorized user years ago when his credit happened  to be bad, now i'm the the one going through a bad credit phase. I will make the call and explain my situation to citi. Also one other question. I happen to be an authorized user on one of his citi cards, do you think citi would be likely to review his account, see me as an authorized user and decrease his limit?

Message 4 of 12
Aahz
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Also one other question. I happen to be an authorized user on one of his citi cards, do you think citi would be likely to review his account, see me as an authorized user and decrease his limit?

HIGHLY unlikely.

Message 5 of 12
yfan
Valued Contributor

Calling Citi won't restore your line. Because what you would explain to them is exactly what they have figured when they reduced your limit: you do not have enough income to pay all your bills.

Incidentally, your balances are not super high (at least on the Citi cards) at the moment, but I assume you/your brother have been paying it down for a while. Where did it start? Why did you start carrying balances in the first place? Did you make adjustments to your lifestyle after you lost your job to reduce your spending as much as possible and stretch the emergency dollars you saved? I am asking these questions because once you do get a new job and are able to pay your bills again, be very careful about credit card spending. Don't spend on a credit card what you couldn't spend out of pocket, in cash, at that moment. Pay in full. If you are taking advantage of a 0% offer, lock the money away so that you can pay it in full as soon as the promo period comes to an end.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dont tell them your unemployed they will close both your cards.

Message 7 of 12
theeurotuner
Valued Member

Agreed! I would not put any more attention to your cards! 

I am verry to hear about your employment and am confident you'll find something! Credit is repairable and when your back on your feet you can send out good will letters. 

hopefully you don't completely burn the creditors. Try to make atleast minimum payment somehow because you do NOT want to go into default APR of 29.99%, then your debt wil spiral out of control.

Amex BCP- 1k, Amex EDP - 15k, Amex PRG, Barclays Ring - 10k, Barclays Arrival Plus World Elite - 12k, Chase Freedom - 5k, Discover it - 15k, Discover Escape: 17k, USAA World MasterCard: 10k, Walmart - 7,500, P.C. Richards - 5k, Lowes - 9k, Bank Of America 1 2 3 Cash - 15K, Amazon - 7,500K ~~~ Fico - TU-759, EQ-720, EX-751
Message 8 of 12
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Just to chime in with my 2¢... usually there's no harm in asking for something, since generally the worst they can do is say no, right?

In this case, though, there is more they can do - if they believe there's a chance they won't get paid back, they can close your account. 

Since your non-Citi accounts are showing as delinquent on your credit reports, Citi already knows there's a problem - the lates on the other accounts are likely what got their attention, not so much your carrying a high balance alone. 

If you call them about reinstating your previous limit, they will likely ask you about the accounts you are currently late with, and if they do you'll either have to be truthful and tell them you're unemployed, or you'll have to lie.  Neither of these is a good option, IMO.

If it were me, I would just hang on for the time being.  Once things are back on track then go about getting your limits reinstated.  I went through a similar thing with my Synchrony accounts years ago (Synchrony is notorious about CLD when you are late with other lenders), and eventually my credit limits did bounce back.

As for your accounts impacting your brother, you can avoid that by having him removed as AU from the accounts (like others have already mentioned) or he can simply 'ride out' the situation with you.  If you do decide it's best to remove him, if you can't do it online and must call, I would not mention the credit line issue... again, I would leave that alone for the moment.  Also as has been mentioned, once you have him removed he'll likely have to dispute the entries with the three credit bureaus to have the accounts removed from his own reports in a timely manner.  Ideally it should happen automatically - and eventually it might - but in my personal experience it can take a while without the disputes (YMMV).

Good luck!

Message 9 of 12
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello, not sure if this is the right forum to post this in, but i have a question about decreased cc limits. Quick description of my situation i've been unemployed for about 6 months and as of last month i ran out of funds to continue paying my cc bills. I have 6 credit cards, 4 of which are 2 months behind. I happen to log into my citi account today and they lowered both of ccs w/ them and i now have a few bucks available on both of them. My brother is the authorized user on both accounts and he's been paying those for me, so those accounts are not delinquent . I checked my score and it did drop about 30 points on equifax because of the late report.

Your entire credit profile matters for any account -- not just the account itself.  Being late on a given account can certainly impact other credit accounts and could lead to AA such as the CLD you have experienced.  Derogs such as lates are always major red flags and tend to have a significant impact as long as they are on your reports.  That's why the first recommendation is always work on addressing any derogs.

@Anonymous wrote:

i'm only worried now as it affects my brother's credits, because now it looks like he has 2 maxed out cards on his credit report.

As stated above, he can be removed as an AU.  High revolving utilization on a TL does not benefit the AU and that's if the TL is considered to begin with (they are not in all cases).

@Anonymous wrote:

Also one other question. I happen to be an authorized user on one of his citi cards, do you think citi would be likely to review his account, see me as an authorized user and decrease his limit?

Nope.  The original cardholder is not impacted by the AU's credit.  The impact from an AU would if the AU racked up charges on the original cardholder's account that caused revolving utilization to increase, payments to be late because the original cardholder could not pay what the AU charged, etc.  The AU's credit is not considered for the account which is why the AU's credit isn't pulled when the AU is added.

You and your brother can look at your reports.  Being an AU doesn't merge the AU's credit with the orignal cardholder.  It's just a matter of the TL reporting for the AU where applicable (not all cards report for AU's).

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.