Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC Payments Split

tag
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

CC Payments Split

I was told by my bank that is you split payments credit and a gift card they are going to close account as they are loosing on the swipe fees they get. I.E If I buying something for $40,00 and pay $20,00 with gift card and $20,00 with CC.(I'm using round numbers to make things clear.)

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: CC Payments Split

@corymcd88 wrote:

I was told by my bank that is you split payments credit and a gift card they are going to close account as they are loosing on the swipe fees they get. I.E If I buying something for $40,00 and pay $20,00 with gift card and $20,00 with CC.(I'm using round numbers to make things clear.)

done it multiple times, in fact 60% of the time i dine out, I use a gift card, its always looks funny to write a $15 tip on a $8 charge slip, because the other $50 came from a credit card.

I have also used pre-paid visa/amex/mc charge cards as partial payments at walmart and other stores, with the remainder paid on my regular cards, no issues yet. 

Most of the time, the bank would have to do extra work to figure out you used a gift card to pay part of the bill anyway... 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Whomever told you that is an idiot and should be put on permanent mute.

Message 3 of 9
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

Some big banks.

Message 4 of 9
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

no problem, with AMEX, Citi, Chase, Discover, Commenity, sorry I don't have any Wells Fargo credit cards so can't verify but still doubt it would be an issue.

That covers 30% of the top 10 largest banks in the US, right allready. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 5 of 9
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

no problem, with AMEX, Citi, Chase, Discover, Commenity, sorry I don't have any Wells Fargo credit cards so can't verify but still doubt it would be an issue.

That covers 30% of the top 10 largest banks in the US, right allready. 

Yep, I guess the reps were miss informed.

Message 6 of 9
SomeGuyNamedFred
Established Member

What would be the logic (from the bank's perspective) behind such a policy?  Would they rather us use some other form of payment to cover the remaining balance and get nothing, or get 1-2% of something (potentially still a substantial amount if the total bill is large relative to the gift card amount)?  

Sounds like this CSR is retarded, but i doubt they would make something like that up if they didn't hear it from management.

Message 7 of 9
Callandra
Valued Contributor

I've split payments before (either with cash or gift cards) and never had an issue. It was a frequent occurence when I worked as a retail cashier so I doubt people are getting shut down for that. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

What if you received a gift card for Christmas at your local Target store and used it for partial payment and paid for the rest of your purchases on a CC? This seems ridiculous to say the least.

That CSR is CRAY CRAY....

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.