Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC Portfolio Suggestions

tag
SimonP
Valued Member

CC Portfolio Suggestions

I’ve been gardening since December, and I think it is time to clean up my portfolio a little bit and get ready for my next card. Getting rid of Wells Fargo secured card is my top priority, since they refuse to upgrade after more than 2.5 years.

I recently got a CLI for my Amex BCP, and my current status is:

Amex BCP                           $25K

CSP                                     $8.5K

Chase Freedom                   $7K

Wells Fargo Secured           $10K

AU on BOA Visa                  $10K

I absolutely love Chase, but I already have two cards with them. I have got so much out of my CSP, and with the additional rewards transfers from Freedom, we easily can get free plane tickets from South West and United. However, Chase not being an option, what do you think is the best next card after cancelling WF? Is it worth to open a checking account with USBank and go for their cards (denied 3 times 3 years ago)? How about Citi?

By the way, I don’t have any balance, but I don’t have any low APR card for keeping a balance either.

Thanks in advanced.

My Wallet: Wells Fargo Visa, Chase Freedom 5%, Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP), Chase Sapphire, Amex Blue Cash Preferred (BCP), US Bank Cash+, Citi Premier
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
bribro
Valued Contributor

Re: CC Portfolio Suggestions

Maybe a Citi Dividend card? It has the revolving 5% categories much like your Freedom card (although there's a $1,500 quarterly cap on those with Citi), so you can pick your card based on the bonus categories. Citi is pretty good with CLIs from what I've heard as well and if you play your cards right you can end up with a no AF World Elite MC.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 2 of 21
FrugalRican
Blogger

Don't travel too much?
Surprised not to see a single travel card on there. Although, with the BCP/CSP in your rotation, I can sort of see why.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 3 of 21
john398
Senior Contributor

What about Discover More? They are going after Chase customers it seems

Message 4 of 21
ajh5408
Contributor

What about PenFed Platinum Rewards? If you were approved for CSP and BCP, you should be able to get in with them... Extra 2% on gas versus the BCP, and a $250 signup bonus after requisite spending. You'd also open the door for loan pre-approval offers, which they are generally very good about offering members on a regular basis.

Message 5 of 21
SimonP
Valued Member

@bribro wrote:

Maybe a Citi Dividend card? It has the revolving 5% categories much like your Freedom card (although there's a $1,500 quarterly cap on those with Citi), so you can pick your card based on the bonus categories. Citi is pretty good with CLIs from what I've heard as well and if you play your cards right you can end up with a no AF World Elite MC.

Citi Dividend is a good candidate. I already have pre-approved offer for their Diamond Preferred card. However, they have upgraded this card to Visa. I don't think they offer World Elite anymore. Otherwise, I would love to have a Master in my wallet.

My Wallet: Wells Fargo Visa, Chase Freedom 5%, Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP), Chase Sapphire, Amex Blue Cash Preferred (BCP), US Bank Cash+, Citi Premier
Message 6 of 21
SimonP
Valued Member

@FrugalRican wrote:

Don't travel too much?
Surprised not to see a single travel card on there. Although, with the BCP/CSP in your rotation, I can sort of see why.

Unfortunately, we haven't travelled much lately. Hope it changes after wife's graduation. Smiley Happy

However, for mild travelling, CSP is working very well. Besides, they have been wonderful in transferring points from both of our Freedom's accounts to CSP.

Message 7 of 21
SimonP
Valued Member

@john398 wrote:

What about Discover More? They are going after Chase customers it seems

I've wanted a Discover for many months now, but their categories is almost identical to Freedom, and we have two of these. I recently have got a pre-approved offer for their More card, but the caps seems too limited at $300.

Message 8 of 21
SimonP
Valued Member

@ajh5408 wrote:

What about PenFed Platinum Rewards? If you were approved for CSP and BCP, you should be able to get in with them... Extra 2% on gas versus the BCP, and a $250 signup bonus after requisite spending. You'd also open the door for loan pre-approval offers, which they are generally very good about offering members on a regular basis.

PenFed cards are great! However, we are not military, and being a resident here means a guaranteed denial.

Message 9 of 21
pkosheta
Contributor

PenFed Plat Rewards is the best card in my wallet and everyone who buys gas and groceries should jump at that. Plus 250 free? It's amazing. Perhaps a hotel card if you plan on traveling? CSP is a good card for generic stays and travel, but if you like a particular chain like choice brand hotels, Hilton, SPG etc... then a specific tie-in card usually wins out. I hear great things about SPG too, but work has me at the Hilton recently which allows me to get an extra 6 points per dollar on hotel stays, plus 6 points for my scrips at cvs! If your not looking for a hotel card I agree with everyone else to find a nice 5% category rotating card or citi forward if you don't already have it. Picking a new card is half the fun, so take your time and enjoy the process!!!
Age 29
AU- United+ Visa 33k, *97. GM MasterCard 15k, *95.
Individual- PenFed Plat Rew 7k, *08. Amex Blue 6.7k, *12. Hilton Amex 5.5k, *12. Chase Sapphire 15k, *12. U.S. Bank Cash+ 12.3k, *12. Barclays Priceline.com Rewards Visa 11k, *13. Citi DoubleCash (PC'd in *14) 7k, *13. Club Carlson Premier 9k, *13.
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.