Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC Usage Pattern

tag
justnumbers

CC Usage Pattern

Hello all.

I have a question concerning credit card usage. I know from browsing and searching through these forums that I want to have 2-3 cards, with one of them reporting a 1-9% utilization. What I'm wondering is how long do you stick to only using one card? Indefinately, or should I switch to one of the other cards after 3, 6 months, a year, etc? Do you ever switch your main/reporting card?

Here are the cards I have:

Shell FCU: $500

BoA secured: $1,000

Capital One secured: $500

The Shell is a regular CC, but the BoA has a higher CL and will eventually become unsecured, so I'm thinking I should use that as my main card. BoA is also supposedly sending me a rewards CC to replace what I have (asked for it when I upped the limit from 500 to 1000). What say ye? Thanks!

Starting Score: 598 (05/2014)
Current Score: 685 (05/2015)
Goal: 720
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

Re: CC Usage Pattern

@justnumbers wrote:

Hello all.

I have a question concerning credit card usage. I know from browsing and searching through these forums that I want to have 2-3 cards, with one of them reporting a 1-9% utilization. What I'm wondering is how long do you stick to only using one card? Indefinately, or should I switch to one of the other cards after 3, 6 months, a year, etc? Do you ever switch your main/reporting card?

Here are the cards I have:

Shell FCU: $500

BoA secured: $1,000

Capital One secured: $500

The Shell is a regular CC, but the BoA has a higher CL and will eventually become unsecured, so I'm thinking I should use that as my main card. BoA is also supposedly sending me a rewards CC to replace what I have (asked for it when I upped the limit from 500 to 1000). What say ye? Thanks!

Everybody has different systems.  I tend to use the same card, because I don't like spreading my rewards (it takes more time to gain rewards if you're spreading them over cards). Some cycle their cards to keep them all current, by using one card for one month, and a different card the following month.  Always paying in full so only one balance is reporting. In your case, be careful on the lower CL cards so that you're staying below 10% utilization on that card.

Utilization is counter per card and overall.  When you have more history, it won't mater as much. But in the begining, it maters a lot, because you haven't established a pattern.

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
vygotsky
Contributor

That 1%-9% is IMO for people seeking more credit soon, or wanting to buy a house or car in the near futre. If you want to keep your score up you can, as you said have 1-2 cards reporting but not all at the same time. Also if you have no other debt you can do 10-30% util which is more realistic at these low limits with out any damage to your score. 

FICO 733 (Discover)
Message 3 of 5
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

You can use them all. Just know when the statements close pay them a few days ahead so it has time to finalize payment. Then only have one report a balance. As soon as the statement closes use them again until a few days before closing and pay them again. Just decide the one you want to report a balance when statement closes.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 4 of 5
justnumbers

Thank you for the helpful replies. My goal is to get a home loan in a year or less.

As far as actually using the CC's, it is strictly for building up credit, I will only use one of them when I need to for the fico scoring. Bare minimum.

I prefer sticking with cash/debit Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 598 (05/2014)
Current Score: 685 (05/2015)
Goal: 720
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.