Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC Utilization

tag
angelmcd
Established Member

CC Utilization

is it best to pay off a cc every month to $0 or to keep a balance on it??  if the card is a $10,000 and $1,000 max is used monthly and PIF, how does that affect your credit score?  i'm asking for a friend...my credit cards are not that high!!  i'm not completely sure how the utilization thing works.  thanks for any info!! Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: CC Utilization

angelmcd wrote:
is it best to pay off a cc every month to $0 or to keep a balance on it??  if the card is a $10,000 and $1,000 max is used monthly and PIF, how does that affect your credit score?  i'm asking for a friend...my credit cards are not that high!!  i'm not completely sure how the utilization thing works.  thanks for any info!! Smiley Happy

For max FICO points it's best to keep util at 1-9% of your CLs (credit limits) on all CCs and other revolving accounts.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CC Utilization

@angelmcd wrote:
is it best to pay off a cc every month to $0 or to keep a balance on it?? if the card is a $10,000 and $1,000 max is used monthly and PIF, how does that affect your credit score? i'm asking for a friend...my credit cards are not that high!! i'm not completely sure how the utilization thing works. thanks for any info!! Smiley Happy

Fico gives you a few more points with a tiny balance. Just using the card (regardless of amount) each month will force the CC company to update your reports. That is where you gain most points. ONLY when you need your score higher, best to pay off, but leave a small tiny balance on 1-4 cards. If you are looking long term, just use each card so they report. Utl works against your score. The more you charge the lower you scores go. UTL is based on a current report and changes the "moment" the report is updated. So if you charge 50% this month and pay it off next month, your score will be different from month to month. Long term you gain points from activity.

Message Edited by ilovepizza on 07-25-2007 01:37 PM
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.