Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC after house closing?

tag
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

CC after house closing?

What was your experience?

I've been approved for 2 (GE and havertys, meant to only apply for 1) and declined for 2

Still want to apply for bce and citi but after getting declined for chase freedom and discover it

(both chase and discover pulled ex and eq....weird)

-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: CC after house closing?

@jordanmedical wrote:

What was your experience?

I've been approved for 2 (GE and havertys, meant to only apply for 1) and declined for 2

Still want to apply for bce and citi but after getting declined for chase freedom and discover it

(both chase and discover pulled ex and eq....weird)

How many INQ's do you have in the last 6 months and UTL? What's CR look like baddies ect? Did you recon any of these declines?

If Chase and discover declined I would say its time to stop and Amex will be hard to get IMO tho

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 12
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

I have several inqs from the mortgage process in the last 6 months. I have 2 baddies from 2011 (1 a C/O), util is in the 30s.

I reconned both and will try to recon again as well.

-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)

Message 3 of 12
myjourney
Super Contributor

@jordanmedical wrote:

I have several inqs from the mortgage process in the last 6 months. I have 2 baddies from 2011 (1 a C/O), util is in the 30s.

I reconned both and will try to recon again as well.

What were reasons for decline from recon?

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 12
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

new accts from 2012 (when I started to rebuild) -They want to see more establishment

too many inqs (which I explained)

high util (only chase said this)-I rechecked my util and it is still in the 30s

Chase also mentioned high student loan balances (rediculous if you ask me because these are a lt loan and have never been late)

Both asked about the baddies (explained this was 1 financial bump as there are only 2 and both are from 2011)

Message 5 of 12
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

With Chase, I've noticed you can't have more than one 'issue'. High util, inqs and baddies are usually a no go for them. Work on getting the util down to under 20%- 15% would be even better. Inqs you can explain. Discover seems to be a little all over the place with their approvals. But in both cases it looks like they want a lower util and cleaner file.
Amex will probably not be a good one ESP with high util. And depending on the amount of new credit I might caution apping for Barclays.
Message 6 of 12
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Last year I went on a spree after my closing.  Got a Discover IT, Lowes, and Amex BCP.  Declined for Citi Diamond.  My utility was very very low and INQ's were low as well.

Message 7 of 12
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

Odd, I've stopped apping though.

I forgot I applied for a CLI on my NfCU card, got declined a few months ago. Went from 3K to 8.5K today, def going to leave my secured open with them, see what they give me upon graduation thereSmiley Happy

Message 8 of 12
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I went on an app spree after I closed.  I got Chase Amazon, Amex Zync and NFCU Cashrewards as well as GECRB Amazon.

Got declined for a few too: Namely QT gas card that I wanted! Smiley Sad

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 9 of 12
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

So I apped for PP MC after I got my cli and apr reduction and visa signature status on my nfcu cash card, got approved for 1500.

I want to app for 2 more before I stop for a while, need some advice:

Home Depot or Lowes (Lowes is GE and I already have a few cards with them but Citi sent me a pre-approval a month ago after I was added as an AU on my mom's acct)

CareCredit (for any medical or vet emergencies)-how often do I have to use to keep this active?

Any advice on applying for the above before the new accts hit my report?

I know I have no hope for the AMEX BCE but do I have hope to try to start with a charge card?

Util have gone up to 40% due to mid-cycle reporting of my GE acct after changing my addy Smiley Sad

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.