Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC appl. When NOT to?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CC appl. When NOT to?

Situation: I have $20,000 in cc debt, currently on 3 credit cards, highest is $8,000 @ 28.99. I'd love to apply for another lower intro rate card and transfer that one card's balance to help me to catch up.

My question is will I get turned down and negatively impact my FICO even further? Any experience with this or advice??? Thanks!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Uncle_Money
Established Contributor

Re: CC appl. When NOT to?

Hi Cybergal, Please provide some more details. What is your total combined credit limits on these cards? The problem is that virtually all lenders will frown upon high utilization. $8,000 @ 28.99 is definitely not a good situation. Have you called your creditor to ask for a lower APR? I would first try this. Applying probably won't cause you much damage but I'm not too sure what your chances of approval are with this much debt.

Personal: American Express Platinum - NPSL | American Express Blue Cash Preferred - $15,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve - $38,500 | Chase Amazon Prime Visa - $7,200 | Chase Freedom - $500 | Barclaycard Arrival+ - $18,600 | PenFed Platinum Rewards - $25,000 | PenFed LOC - $10,000 | Navy Federal Credit Union Platinum Visa - $25,000 | Navy Federal Credit Union LOC - $10,000 | Citi Double Cash - $12,170 | Citizens Cash Back+ - $8,650 | Citizens LOC Overdraft - $8,000 | Discover - $10,000 | Capital One Quicksilver One - $3,600 | Capital One Platinum - $750 | Valero - $600 | Dell - $3,000 | Lowes Advantage - $30,000 | Macys Amex - $25,000 | The Home Depot - $7,500 | Tourneau - $15,000
Business: American Express Business Platinum Card - NPSL | American Express Plum Card - NPSL | American Express SimplyCash Plus - $10,000 | American Express Gold Card - NPSL | Bank of America Cash Rewards - $100,000 | Capital One Spark Business - $54,000 | Chase Business Preferred - $34,000 | Chase Business Ink - $15,000 | PNC Bank Cash Rewards Visa Signature - $19,000 | PNC LOC $100,000 | BP Business Solutions - $1,500 | KeyBank Mastercard - $6,000 | Staples More Account - $3,500

Message 2 of 4
Math_Rocks
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
@Situation: I have $20,000 in cc debt, currently on 3 credit cards, highest is $8,000 @ 28.99. I'd love to apply for another lower intro rate card and transfer that one card's balance to help me to catch up.

My question is will I get turned down and negatively impact my FICO even further? Any experience with this or advice??? Thanks!

Cybergal,

We were recently in a very similar situation and are working our way out. We have about 22000 in CC debt, that was sitting right around 80-85% utilization. We have a Ch. 7 BK that was discharged 06/2001 and really felt restricted to the accounts that we had and they started ratejacking us. (Providian is the worse!!! Smiley Sad ) We called several times and no one was willing to lower the rates. We talked to our CU and they would only give us a personal loan if we put up the note on our 2nd car, which would have raised our insurance so was a no go.

Anyway, once we reached the 7 year mark, I decided to be brave and apply for new cards. (The Ch. 7 will still be on there another 3 years but I think 7 years is a great crossroads.) I also chose to get some rewards cards so that, like so many posters on here, we could earn some rewards for $ we spend anyway.

The big successes are 2 new WaMu accounts with 8K limits and 3 new Barclay's accounts totalling 8k. It dropped our utilization down to about 43%. We now have most of our CC debt BT's to 0% until next Spring. The only remaining issue is our Providian (can't use WaMu to pay off) but I think with the accounts we've zeroed, we'll be able to break it up and transfer it soon. HTH
Filed Chapter 13 April 2012. Case successfully closed May 2017, about 1 month after 60th payment. FAKO scores on close date: TU 695 EQ 697. Received discharge July 11th - took forever! Real EX day of discharge 624.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Big help, thanks! My cards are about the same %. Had a BK, but it's over the 10 years so no longer showing up, yea! But my score didn't change that much because of the cc debt. Asked them to lower rates and was only able to get a percent at a time. The 28.99 went down to 27.99. Big deal. :-(

Providian/WAMU has been a pain. That's the high rate and I was one day late on a payment and that's when the rate shot up. Now I know better and have auto pay. So be careful with WAMU. (The reason you can't use Providian to pay off WAMU is because they own both.

I'm trying to lease (always do so no down payment) a Prius. Because it is so in demand, a friend at Lexus said that they can charge their top interest rate for my FICO since the car is in demand. So may not get much of a break there. But will sure like lower gas bills. Chevron is another card that is now creeping up.

Anyway, thanks for the info. It was very helpful.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.