Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC bal and FICO

tag
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

CC bal and FICO

I know all about the 9% rule. And I've been doing that. However, I've incurred some moving expenses over the last couple of weeks that I need to finance w/0% BT offer I have.

So, my question is about the balance % of CL and how it affects FICO. I'm wondering if there is a % where it hits your FICO more. Like if your bal is over 50% of your CL on that card, does it impact FICO a lot more than at 40%? Or for example, with a $10k CL, does a $6k Bal lower your FICO a lot more than, say a $5k bal?

I'm trying to figure out how much to BT w/o too big of a FICO hit.

Thanks! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: CC bal and FICO

any single card over 70% is considered maxed out, and you will take a hit. 

over 30% UTL is another red flag for creditors.

you may find various lenders that will over look those if your history is good enough or if the company is subprime. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 2 of 8
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

any single card over 70% is considered maxed out, and you will take a hit. 

over 30% UTL is another red flag for creditors.

you may find various lenders that will over look those if your history is good enough or if the company is subprime. 

So, is the 30% on a single card? Like $3k bal on $10k card, or is that 30% of the TOTAL util w/all CC CLs combined?

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 3 of 8
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

70% on a single card  BAD

30% on total UTL is another BAD mark, at least under it you shouldn't have it come up as a negaitive to getting new cards. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 4 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Not worth worrying about unless you have an application coming up in the near future.

Do what makes the most financial sense for the BT: if that means maxxing out the card on something you can't immediately pay off and want the 0% financing for, then do that.  Long term FICO-wise it's absolutely irrelevant, and any money which you save puts you further ahead financially, which is more important than short-term FICO worries.

        
Message 5 of 8
Crashem
Valued Contributor

If any card and assume total util as well, there seems to be some magic numbers were it hurts more on a percentage basis.  Those numbers seem to be 10%, 30%, and 80%. 50% might also be.  Although the actual formula is actually much more complicated so these percentages may be illusionary.  I assume you are asking question as you are planning on maxing a card.  If that is case, keep it below 80%.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 6 of 8
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

So, if I do $6k on a $10k card, my util on that card w/be 60%, but my overall util will be about 10 to 11%.

My concern is that Amex is gonna freak. Really, they're the only one I'm concerned about. The 0% w/be on Barclay's, but so far my experience with them has been very good -- and they sent me the 0% offer. So, I think they'll be okay with my doing it.

I've just not carried a balance since I've rebuilt (except for my iPad Smiley Happy), so I'm a little concerned about how the CCs are going to react when they soft me.

Message 7 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@bichonmom wrote:

So, if I do $6k on a $10k card, my util on that card w/be 60%, but my overall util will be about 10 to 11%.

My concern is that Amex is gonna freak. Really, they're the only one I'm concerned about. The 0% w/be on Barclay's, but so far my experience with them has been very good -- and they sent me the 0% offer. So, I think they'll be okay with my doing it.

I've just not carried a balance since I've rebuilt (except for my iPad Smiley Happy), so I'm a little concerned about how the CCs are going to react when they soft me.

Non-issue in my opinion as long as you start making payments regularly on the balance.  It's when cards get maxxed, and then *stay* maxxed that lenders start worrying.

In this case you're doing exactly what credit cards are designed for: short-term float.  Why would any lender get upset over that except to ask why you didn't use them instead?

        
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.