Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC debt; carrying balance

tag
c47v3770
Established Member

CC debt; carrying balance

Hello!

Hoping I can get some feedback/tips on how to deal with this. I'm a recent graduate and have only one CC. My credit line is $2,000. For the past 3-4 months, I've been carrying a balance and paying interest because I've not been able to pay the balance in full. I currently have too many expenses (student loans, car, etc) and can only pay about $100-150 off the balance per month.

Do you recommend I keep paying what I can? Or do I have any options like transferring my balance to another CC? I really don't need another CC since I clearly haven't been able to manage my current one. I'm learning though..

I will be able to make bigger payments starting next year but don't really want to wait that long..

Thanks!! 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
knoregs
Established Contributor

Re: CC debt; carrying balance

You can apply for a 0% balance transfer card but the catch22 is that with your 1 maxed out card your scores are probably too low to be approved. Good luck!

~kn

EQ: 700 (FICO ScoreWatch) 11/26/14
EX: ??? (No Current)
TU: 681 (Discover FICO) 11/12/14

Last App 9/22/14... In Garden 'till Summer '15
Message 2 of 3
brianjb
Contributor

Re: CC debt; carrying balance

In the meantime, I say try to work as hard as you can to pay off your debt.

I know that it is hard, but it is good that you are learning this lesson.

Can you work more hours this Fall/WInter?  A lot of places hire seasonal help for the holidays.  I don't see why you can't earn an extra $2K betweek now and the end of the year and pay off that card.

AMEX TrueEarnings 10K | AMEX BCE 10K | AMEX Hilton Honors 10K | AMEX Hilton Surpass 2K | Bank of America 1-2-3 2K | Barclay Card 2K | Chase Southwest Premier Visa 6K | Chase Marriott Premier Visa 9K | Discover IT Card 1.5K | Merrick Bank 1.4K | Navy Federal Credit Union Visa 10K | Navy Federal Credit Union navCheck 15K | USAA Rewards 7K |+ tons of store cards (GE furniture, Amazon, Lowes, Home Depot, etc)
Total amount of available credit $100K
Scores (as of December 2013) Equifax 714 | Experian 714 | Transunion 727
Short term goal is score 750+ across the board
Long term goal is to have all scores close to 800 or 800+
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.