Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC for Tuition

tag
_jb_
Frequent Contributor

Re: CC for Tuition

I've been putting mine (no fee) on my CSP and converting the points into miles. I might put my final payment on my Capital One Quicksilver, just to spread the love around a bit. I PIF so its free money/miles.

Starting Scores: myFICO EQ: 678, myFICO TU: 676, myFICO EX: 678 (01/2013)
Latest Scores: myFICO EQ: 789, myFICO TU: 782, myFICO EX: 788
My Wallet: American Express BCE, NFCU cashRewards, Capital One Quicksilver, Discover It, Chase Freedom, Chase Amazon Rewards
Gardening since 02/07/17
Message 11 of 16
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Depends on the convenience fee; both the Fed and at least UCLA are on the order of 1.85% fee.

2% or higher cards are just free money in some situations.  I'm still dreaming of a JCB Makurai card: 3%, it does exist!

        
Message 12 of 16
unc0mm0n1
Established Contributor

Does the university charge a fee to pay tuition with a CC? Most universities do. It may be cheaper to buy Vanilla reloads and have Bluebird send a check to the school. That's what I do. 

Last App March 23, 2015. Gardening until November 25, 2015
Current Score: 766 EX 734 EQ 780 TU 6/30/2015Starting Score/Goal Score: 580s/780s across the board
Message 13 of 16
newUser0
Established Contributor

I have a question about Vanilla Reloads for you.

My local store said I can use the Credit card to get these cards. But I did not got enough courage to do that with out sufficient knowledge.

What if I buy these cards from him and then will that charge appear as Cash Advance in my Card? Is there any way to know that it is a Purchase Transaction NOT Cash Advance one?

Message 14 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@newUser0 wrote:

My local store said I can use the Credit card to get these cards. But I did not got enough courage to do that with out sufficient knowledge.

What if I buy these cards from him and then will that charge appear as Cash Advance in my Card? Is there any way to know that it is a Purchase Transaction NOT Cash Advance one?

I don't think any cards currently count those as Cash Advances.  Or even fail to give rewards on them (and the T&Cs of most say that they don't earn rewards, but in fact they do).  If you want to be super-safe, see if you can get your cash advance limit set to 0, most issuers do this.  Then the transaction would merely fail in the unlikely event that it was treated as an advance.      And/or, buy one for the minimum, which is $20.   You would really be wasting $3.95 doing this, but that is a small price if you are concerned about the possibility of cash advance.

Message 15 of 16
newUser0
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@newUser0 wrote:

I don't think any cards currently count those as Cash Advances.  Or even fail to give rewards on them (and the T&Cs of most say that they don't earn rewards, but in fact they do).  If you want to be super-safe, see if you can get your cash advance limit set to 0, most issuers do this.  Then the transaction would merely fail in the unlikely event that it was treated as an advance.      And/or, buy one for the minimum, which is $20.   You would really be wasting $3.95 doing this, but that is a small price if you are concerned about the possibility of cash advance.

Thank you very much. I was really wanted to confirm this before I swipe.

I am planning to go to Walmart and Will see if I can get some Money Park (Green dot ) card from ChaseCC

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.