Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC giving me money to encourage use of card

tag
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

CC giving me money to encourage use of card

I have a gas card (not a CC type card, a straight gas card).  I got it over 10 years ago because there was a station near my house and one near my office.  A couple of years ago they sold the only stations in town, so I don't get to use it unless I am travelling to other parts of the state.  I didn't want to close it because it is very old, and I want to keep it going, so I use it about once every 6 months or so (I checked with them and they deem a card inactive after 12 months of non-use).  Because it is only a gas card, I can't put a regular payment on it to keep it going.

This week they sent me a letter - they have applied a credit of $5 to my card that I can get if I use the card in the next month!!

Interesting, I thought

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CC giving me money to encourage use of card

Hey MV

Now this is just an ideal. Does the gas card offer a cash advance?My Chevron card offers me $120 cash advance.If so could you use the card every now and then for a cash advance to keep it alive.10 years is a lot of history to give up.

Message 2 of 10
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey MV

Does the gas card offer a cash advance?

Nope.  Can only be used in QT gas stations.

And I checked - I opened it in Febryary 1996, so I want to keep it alive as long as possible!

Message 3 of 10
Chopbrocoli
Established Contributor

$5 is pretty nice. Sorry to hear that they sold the stations. By anychance do they have any affiliate gas station in which you can use?
AMEX Gold Premier Rewards | SPG AMEX | Bank of America Power Rewards | Merrill Plus | United Presidential Plus | Saks World Elite
Message 4 of 10
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

The nearest gas station is 110 miles away  Smiley Sad

But I go to that area every month, I just need to remember to use that station next time.

And PIF at once so I don't forget!!!

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

About 8-10 years ago, Chevron had promotions like that.  I recall an offer for a $5 credit if I purchased at least 8 gallons of gasoline. 
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

One time I applied for a Citibank card as part of some kind of offer (like to get a free iPod or some other nonsense like that.  I was young).  I already had a Citi rewards card, so when the new Citicard came, I just let it sit, and never even activated it.  Well, eventually, they gave me a $20 credit if I activated it and used it that month, so I did.  I've never gotten anything like that since!
Message 7 of 10
jackg
Established Contributor

I just experienced a similiar situation with Marathon. I've had the card, $1500 CL, for a year and have used it only twice. The first time I paid in full and everything went as it should. Last month I used it for the second time and when I recieved the statement it showed my purchase, about & $30 and the following line said they were giving me a $15 credit for being a valued customer. Go figure!
FICO scores on November 17, 2014 (prior to applying for and being approved my mortgage)

EX=738
EQ=735
TU=754

FICO scores on March 4, 2015 after being approved for mortgage and buying the home, the mortgage isn't yet reporting.
EX- 689 EQ- 739 TU- 739
Message 8 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

MidnightVoice wrote:

The nearest gas station is 110 miles away  Smiley Sad

But I go to that area every month, I just need to remember to use that station next time.

And PIF at once so I don't forget!!!

There is something kind of charming about the thought that you have to drive 220 miles, probably 7 - 9 gallons of gas by most people's mileage, in order to buy gas. Smiley Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 9 of 10
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

haulingthescoreup wrote:

There is something kind of charming about the thought that you have to drive 220 miles, probably 7 - 9 gallons of gas by most people's mileage, in order to buy gas. Smiley Happy

Well, I have to go there the week after next, so I will just have to remember to go to their gas station.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.