Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC lenders of yesteryear?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CC lenders of yesteryear?

Add to the list Advanta, Comerica along with Chemical Bank, First National Bank of Wilmington, Rock Mountain National Bank, Chevy Chase and Michigan National Bank. Old cards would be the real American Express, Diners Club and Carte Blanche (charge cards only with prestige and mystique). To me many of these were better lenders and more reasonable than what is in the market today. They were good to me. Especially MBNA America as I had a $57.5K limit with them on a Platinum Visa. Oh, don't forget Shoppers Charge that let you pay 0% on purchase of a $150 or more as long as you paid it in ninety days (a good deal). Also, I had an HSBC American Express Co-Branded with a $10K limit and 7.9% on purchases and 15.9% on cash advances with no AF but this disappeared with the Cap1 takeover and I closed it before it went over to Cap1 (miss the card and HSBC was good to me). As an aside or reality check ... interest rates were generally higher than today with more annual fees and virtually no rewards.

Message 11 of 17
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Someone's already mentioned the old Diner's Club, but I just want to add that while it was never as popular (or as accepted) as Amex, it did have a 'perk' that was useful to many... instead of being required to PIF in 30 days, you were allowed 60 days with no penalty. 

It was definitely a 'niche' product, but for a subset of people it was useful, and having 60 days to pay gave it a slight edge over Amex (assuming it was accepted where you wanted to use it).

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Key Federal Savings - one of the first secured Mastercards, or Visa....I had one, but don't remember which it was, except that I sent away $700 and waited an eternity for the card.

Choice Visa, circa late 80's or early 90's. The card actually had a chip on it, so I knew clear back then they were working on technology.

Discover Private Issue

Message 13 of 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I miss Advanta!! HUGE CL's but they got stupid crazy with interest hikes as they started to go under I think to push people late faster so they could just close up shop and be done!

NextCard... The "First Internet Only Credit Card" I think was how they pushed it... It was the first card I think that you could get 3 instant offers that gave you higher CL's the more you would BT right on the spot!! I use to love them... also one of the first cards I remember that I could order custom images and had a good online banking setup... I don't think they lasted more than 3-4 years though and were bought by Merrick I want to say but most people just had their cards closed on them because Merrick couldn't take the higher limit people!

GE Mastercard

and what was the other college card around 98/99 that was being pushed so much on campuses.... i can see it in my mind but can't think of name... GE and ... where like the go to easy cards and then providian was even better!

Message 14 of 17
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

Someone's already mentioned the old Diner's Club, but I just want to add that while it was never as popular (or as accepted) as Amex, it did have a 'perk' that was useful to many... instead of being required to PIF in 30 days, you were allowed 60 days with no penalty. 

It was definitely a 'niche' product, but for a subset of people it was useful, and having 60 days to pay gave it a slight edge over Amex (assuming it was accepted where you wanted to use it).

Very interesting, j/w by "60 days to pay", do you mean like a 60-day grace period?  If so that was truly awesome and I definitely wish a card product like that was still available today...  *wistful sigh*  I remember my old Direct Merchants Bank Titanium card had a similar 90-day grace period for each purchase made, which in theory if you timed your various payments correctly, could potentially allow you to carry a balance and pay extremely little and/or virtually no interest on purchases...but when HSBC acquired the DMB cc portfolio (which in in turn if I am understanding correctly was later itself acquired by Cap1), they got rid of that very unique and special feature on the old DMB card...  Smiley Sad

Message 15 of 17
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@galahad15 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

Very interesting, j/w by "60 days to pay", do you mean like a 60-day grace period?  If so that was truly awesome and I definitely wish a card product like that was still available today...  *wistful sigh*  I remember my old Direct Merchants Bank Titanium card had a similar 90-day grace period for each purchase made, which in theory if you timed your various payments correctly, could potentially allow you to carry a balance and pay extremely little and/or virtually no interest on purchases...but when HSBC acquired the DMB cc portfolio (which in in turn if I am understanding correctly was later itself acquired by Cap1), they got rid of that very unique and special feature on the old DMB card...  Smiley Sad

Yeah, the old Diner's Club was like Amex in that the balance was due upon receipt of the bill, but with Diner's you were allowed an extra statement period to make the payment without penalty (or being in their bad graces).  If you did it too often it could be difficult to keep track of what was "really" due each time, but used occasionally it was a way to have two months to pay for something, interest free.

Right after my BK7 I got a Direct Merchant's MasterCard... it was actually instrumental in helping me to recover.  They eventually closed all of their credit cards (or at least the cards of the type I had) which at the time was very inconvenient, but thanks to the positive history with them I was able to be approved for a Providian account.

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I loved my nextcard I bought cars off eBay on my chase and transferred the balance to them, it was great
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.