Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC's with chips.

tag
FixMyCredit1992
Established Contributor

CC's with chips.

I have seen them before, they usually have a chip in them that makes them look like a smart card out of a satellite receiver.

However, I have NEVER seen one in the US, I've read they are popular over in Europe.

Funny thing is, a lot of CC terminals I see still have readers for them.

So how exactly does a chip card work, do you have to insert in and leave it in for a few seconds, or is it a quick push-pull like swiping a credit card? 

Farm and Fleet $3,000 (AU) Paypal Extras MC $1,500
Barclay's Apple Visa $1,200 QVC Qcard $800
Amazon Store Card $600 Discover $500
Walmart MC $400 Victoria's Secret $350
Credit One $300 Fingerhut $200
TU Fico 626

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: CC's with chips.

@FixMyCredit1992 wrote:

I have seen them before, they usually have a chip in them that makes them look like a smart card out of a satellite receiver.

However, I have NEVER seen one in the US, I've read they are popular over in Europe.

Funny thing is, a lot of CC terminals I see still have readers for them.

So how exactly does a chip card work, do you have to insert in and leave it in for a few seconds, or is it a quick push-pull like swiping a credit card? 

You insert it and leave it until it tells you to remove it.   A common problem for people used to swipe is to remove it too quickly.

In the case of chip&pin, you are prompted to enter a PIN (just like at an ATM) and as soon as that is approved the purchase is complete.   The majority of chipped cards in the US however are chip&signature.   You enter those in the machine, wait until told to remove it, and a signature slip is printed.   In Europe this tends to confuse people as everyone has chip&pin, and often have no idea what to do with the signature slip (and often no-one has pens to sign with as this isn't usually needed).  On several occassions, the cashier has given me the signed slip to keep as they are so unusued to this.

Message 2 of 8
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

How to use a chip & signature card at a European gas station without an attendant?
Message 3 of 8
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

I just came back from Mexico and Columbia and used my chip and sig Amex a lot. Never run into any problem except maybe one time in Mexico. They would insert it in the machine and then simply follow the instructions on the screen. Pretty straighforward.

Message 4 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@DigitalArk wrote:
How to use a chip & signature card at a European gas station without an attendant?

As you obviously know, the answer is often "You can't".  This is the problem with not having chip&pin.   Your issuers will parrot "By [Visa/Amex/MC] rules, they are required to take any card that ....." missing the point that often there is no "they" there.  Same with toll-booths, purchasing tickets from some automated machines etc.

Message 5 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Pat94108 wrote:

I just came back from Mexico and Columbia and used my chip and sig Amex a lot. Never run into any problem except maybe one time in Mexico. They would insert it in the machine and then simply follow the instructions on the screen. Pretty straighforward.

Right, if there is someone there to read the instructions.   In Europe, the sig process is sufficiently unusual to cause delays, which is another reason I use chip&pin in supermarkets.

Message 6 of 8
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

I remember that the CSP rep told me to press cancel when it prompted for pin. She said it would go through. I have not had a chance to try it since I have been in the States. Can someone confirm?
Message 7 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@DigitalArk wrote:
I remember that the CSP rep told me to press cancel when it prompted for pin. She said it would go through. I have not had a chance to try it since I have been in the States.

Depends on how things are set up.  If the machine wants a PIN, being able to cancel and have it go through would be quite a security issue!

The readers and chipped cards can negotiate to some extent as to which protocols are available, and sometimes PIN requests can fallback to signature (and, in some cases, no verification for low-value unattended transactions) .   But if a PIN is required, cancelling won't work any more that it does with a ATM.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.