Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC's with ridiculous limits...why?!

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: CC's with ridiculous limits...why?!

High CLs are mostly to allow us to freely make purchases without having to pay frequently or worry about hitting the limits.  

Last thing I want is to be on vacation and wonder if I've spent close to $10K on the only non-forex card I've got and whether or not I should rush back to my hotel to make a payment.  This is not something I'm going to deal with ever.

Finally, high credit does not equate to actual wealth or spending power.  A $1M CL would be awesome, if I didn't have to pay it back! High CLs used irresponsibly without funds or income to support the spending will lead to insolvency faster than you can blink, which is why for some, the moment you start to use more of your high CLs, the issuers will balance chase and reduce limits across all of your cards.  

Over time, especially Amex, tracks how much you can spend relative to your CL pretty accurately.  The moment you hit this line of demarcation, an FR will ensue to verify you can pay what you're charging.  Amex will always be the first one in the door, but also the first ones out (leaving others to hold the bag), which is the most prudent course to handle financial risk.  Preemptive risk avoidance is the reason why Amex has the lowest default risk.  

Message 31 of 57
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

maybe when it comes to auto approvals? this would explain my hughe difference with the same profile? Citi 17k and Discover 2,5k, no baddies, AAoA 7 yrs, income 75k..scores for Discover 793 and Citi 779 EQ Fico. ...but a real big difference...for some here it looks almost the other way around so it remains a mystery how these lenders evaluate the CL. my util is 1-7% never higher. well Citi pulled EX so I am curious if my Fico there is higher....will find out once I am back home in two weeks.
Message 32 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lg: I would give discover 6 months to match the other trade line or close the account
Try this and you won't regret it.
Message 33 of 57
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

I don't have high limits yet. I have two cards both at $2500 and my other two cards are between $1000-$1100. One of the reasons I want a high limit card is for vacations! I could easy match $5000 with $5000 in credit limit for $10K in purchasing power. Granted I will have to pay off $5K over time but it would be so worth it! Our family has never had a real vacation before and when I went on vacations before getting married, I was always strapped for cash and the credit union would do dumb stuff as they knew I was paying with a debit card. The things me and my now husband went through money wise on vacations was absolutely ridiculous...so much so that we haven't been anywhere but the mountains since and that is in state.

Even if it is once every 5 years, it would be nice to take a full week vacation in Hawaii and then choose are next destination like Disney World for our son.

As the commercial says, "My card can", my cards can't! LOL! But I am only 6-12 months away from a "My card can" card. Smiley Happy
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 34 of 57
Open123
Super Contributor

@MovingForward_2012 wrote:

Even if it is once every 5 years, it would be nice to take a full week vacation in Hawaii and then choose are next destination like Disney World for our son.

Right, I'd much rather travel longer and first class, even if it meant less frequently.

Message 35 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

I need a vacation so Citi HHIlton get ready
Message 36 of 57
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

As someone who does periodically charge close to my limit, let me offer a non-score justification: I don't have a 20k limit, but my life would be easier if I did. Part of why I make purchases on credit cards is for consumer protection. The bigger the purchase, the higher the risk if the company flakes out, the item/service is defective, etc. Last summer, I replaced a 1970s heating system, added a/c and a high end filtering/humidification system (gotta love dry denver air). Total cost about 11k. Could I have paid cash? Sure, but by putting it on a card, I knew that if the install went bad, they didn't deliver or they just disappeared, I could dispute the charge with the cc company and probably get my money back.
Lots of us also make purchases in anticipation of reimbursement. I recently bought dinner for 21 people as part of a conference. I will get reimbursed for the whole amount (etoh by individuals, meals by university), but it was still >3k. With a 3 or 4k limit, I'd be pushing right up against it. I've also had to rent halls, front airfare for speakers, etc.

It is stressful to me to be approaching my limit, so the higher the limit, the less stress.
In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 37 of 57
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

I don't see why jdirilo isn't using their points. Of course the rewards are worth it!Smiley Happy Now if the points are for travel and you don't travel, then it is hard to see the benefits but rewards points converted to cash or cash rewards already converted help a lot! I have earned $250 in cash back since July and I have redeemed $120 for a statement credit. That is $120 I didn't have to pay for that month! How can you not see the great benefits of cash rewards. I think everyone would rather pay $700 than $820 on a credit card bill, right? Or maybe it is because not enough is being charged every month for the points to really rack up. I put all the bills that I can on credit. Gas and groceries also go on credit. My checking account is a hub for the mortgage checks and credit card payments. Debit card is rarely used and is primarily used at the ATM if it is used.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 38 of 57
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I need a vacation so Citi HHIlton get ready

Amex - 50K bonus + Citi 50K bonus + BofA Hawaii 70K bonus + Citi 30K bonus (TY points 1.5 transfer) = one heck of a free vacation!

Message 39 of 57
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

I also use my cards for consumer protection and in fact, I had to dispute my first charge on the Cap1 Cash Rewards card a couple of weeks ago. Now that Medco is Express Scripts, their business practices have tanked. We recently moved as we closed on a new home. Needed to have some mail order prescriptions filled. I change my address online and request processing. Express Scripts calls and says my balance is over $100 and they can't ship until I pay it. Medco never asked me to pay in advance and I don't want to in case my product never arrives. The prescription was a 3 month supply for $125 so I had to pay the $125 for the med to ship. Express Scripts decides to revert to my old address which I did not forward mail from since all my mail goes to a PO Box. I received meds from them at the new address before so why did they revert to the old address. Then I receive one more order at the new address, so why was the 2nd order sent to my old address but orders 1 and 3 were sent to the new address? I called Medco/Express Scripts for a refund. They tell me no because my address didn't take and they called about it. They called but not about that. They called about my balance being over $100!!! And if my address didn't take, then why was order #1 and #3 automatically sent to my new address but order #2 was not. They said the best they could do was give me the third refill free...that is almost a year from now!!! So I called Cap1 and the CSR agreed that was really fishy and that they should have refunded my money. Capital One quickly reversed the $125 charge. I hate the new Medco/Express Scripts so much that I am considering using the local pharmacy for awhile. It will be more trips because they only give a one month supply versus a three month supply but oh well as I refuse to be forced to pay $125 in advance for a prescription that never arrived and the evidence shows that someone there just screwed up but I shouldn't be at fault for their error! Through my debit card, this would have been absolute nightmare, which is another reason my debit card collects dust.
Message 40 of 57
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.