Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC suggestion for 18yr old with no credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CC suggestion for 18yr old with no credit

Hi there! I definitely echo a lot of the other things that have been said on this post, secured cards or seeking out credit unions are definitely good options. I'm a junior in college, and the first credit card I applied for at 18 was one of USAA's higher-tier Amex cards. Obviously I was declined, but they gave me other options of choosing a secured card or their classic card. I accepted the offer for the classic card as it only has a $35 AF, a $500 CL, and no security deposit. If you have military affiliation, USAA lets you aim high and settle lower if you're not approved for their other products. Discover's secured card has some of the best rewards I've seen on a secured card and I've seen quite a few posts on this forum about people being upgraded to the unsecured card and refunded their deposit in less than a year. Hope this helps!

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

My brother is 18 and just started college this past fall and got approved for a Capital One Platinum MC last week and got the card today. no annual fee, $300 limit (with a promised increase after 5 or 6 on time payments).  I told him to get this card because it's no AF, he'll be able to upgrade to Quicksilver or Venture in the no too distant future and his credit limit will grow with him as his financial siutation does. Great starter card.

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Send her to college.  Her bags at the book store should involve a credit card application.  Everybody with no credit gets accepted, even if it is a $300 or $500 limit.

I'm with everyone else... this one takes the award for worst advice i've read all year... it's going to be hard to top that one... and the year just got started....

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.