Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC suggestions for husband

tag
nvrgiveup08
Contributor

CC suggestions for husband

Per credit karma my husbands score is at 693. What do you suggest is a good card to try?

His current situation. 1 defaulted student loan balance 2050.00------paying down weekly as part of agreement with student loan people

Current Cards: Cap 1 secured $300 limit $30 balance

First Premiere $750 limit $243 balance

Bill Me Later $ 500 limit $72 balance

We are trying to free him of the high intrest rate card First Premiere

No place to go but UP

EQ 632
EX 648
TU 648
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: CC suggestions for husband

How long has each of these cards been open ? I agree on closing first preemie ~ their fees are awful. You could possibly try one of GECRB's store cards or even an unsecured card with Cap1.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 8
FrugalRican
Blogger

@nvrgiveup08 wrote:

Per credit karma my husbands score is at 693. What do you suggest is a good card to try?

His current situation. 1 defaulted student loan balance 2050.00------paying down weekly as part of agreement with student loan people

Current Cards: Cap 1 secured $300 limit $30 balance

First Premiere $750 limit $243 balance

Bill Me Later $ 500 limit $72 balance

We are trying to free him of the high intrest rate card First Premiere

Your husband's FICO score could be anything.

I'd say, pay down those balances, let those be reflected, pull the scores and then you can make a better, much more educated guess.

If you can't afford to get those balances right away, then get at least his FICO (TU and/or EQ) scores so you have a better picture of where he stands.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 3 of 8
nvrgiveup08
Contributor

Ok, thanks. We actually had his credit pulled by the mortgage company and he is in the high 600's with all three bureaus. I do agree however that we should pay down the balances on the FP and the BML accounts. The cards have all been opened for at least 9mths-1yr. He is trying to get out of the starter cards and get cards with a higher CL

No place to go but UP

EQ 632
EX 648
TU 648
Message 4 of 8
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@nvrgiveup08 wrote:

Ok, thanks. We actually had his credit pulled by the mortgage company and he is in the high 600's with all three bureaus. I do agree however that we should pay down the balances on the FP and the BML accounts. The cards have all been opened for at least 9mths-1yr. He is trying to get out of the starter cards and get cards with a higher CL

I suggest you increased the deposit on the Capital One to a higher CL.   Then after a whlie apply for a Capital One unsecured card.  I suggest you juice your score by having the optimum utilization before applying.  It worked for me.   

Then get rid of that FP card, too expensive to keep.

Message 5 of 8
casmith1980
Established Contributor

I would also suggest becoming a member of a Credit Union if you're not already.  They are pretty liberal with CLs and they definitely have the possibility of growing with you unlike Cap1...

Filed BK 12/5/14
341 meeting 1/9/15
Anticipated discharge 3/10/15

Goal: 700 by 3/2017
Message 6 of 8
boomhower
Valued Contributor

With high 600's I'd go for a Barclay card.  Should be an easy approval and with recon a solid CL.  DIscover should be doable as well.  With those scores there are no reason to be dealing with FP.

Message 7 of 8
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:
How long has each of these cards been open ? I agree on closing first preemie ~ their fees are awful. You could possibly try one of GECRB's store cards or even an unsecured card with Cap1.

+1 with GE.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.