Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC suggestions for upper 700 score.

tag
cbmcbm
Established Member

CC suggestions for upper 700 score.

I posted this same message on the rebuilding forum. Could a moderator please close that thread and leave this one

Thanks to Myfico. It’s about 5 yrs. now and finally in the 700s (774 EQ and 785TU).  However, I have lower limits and a thin file.  My TLs are Firestone $1200, BOA $1000 and Georgia’s Own CU $1000. Other TL is a paid off on-time Cap1 car loan from 03 that will fall off in July 2013. EQ and TU are squeaky clean and EX has 1 derog that falls of this month. My current goals are 1) secure an auto loan b4 my Cap 1 auto loan falls off in July. Goal 2) Re-establish relationship w/ American Express and hopefully have them backdate to 1991. Had a charge card CO that was paid in full.  Goal 3) to get at least 2 new Prime CCs w/at least $5000 CLs. Chase/American Express sound good. Since AExpress pulls EX and have my last derog w/ EX, I can’t mess with AE until it falls of this month.  Any suggestions as to how I can accomplish my goals? As always thanks to all of you for your help.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: CC suggestions for upper 700 score.

How long have you had the cards chase likes to see 1 year of history?

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 16
iMacDrew
Frequent Contributor

you could app for a Penfed cc. Do you have a solid Rewards or Gas card?

Lender pulled 10-10-13
EQ Fico 715 | EX Fico 714 | TU Fico 703
Message 3 of 16
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

You might want to try Chase b4 AMEX.  Even if you have to recon (and I doubt you will) you should have not problems with your scores.  Then you can go for AMEX.  I'm sure others with deeper knowledge of AMEX criteria can advise if you even need to wait. 

...and congrats on your success over the years.

Message 4 of 16
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I highly recommend PenFed credit cards, as they are the cream of the crop regarding rewards for spending.

PenFed Platinum Rewards

• 5 points per dollar spent on gas purchases paid at the pump
  • 1 points per dollar spent on all other purchases
PenFed Premium Travel Rewards American Express® Card

Learn More >>

• 5 points on airfare purchases
  • 1 point on all other purchases
  • 20,000 bonus points when you spend $2,500 within the first 3 months of opening the card
  • No annual fee
  • No foreign transaction fee
  • 4.99% APR promotional balance transfer rate on transfers made from April 1, 2013 through June 30, 2013 for the life of balance with no balance transfer fee. After that, the APR for any new balance transfers will be 9.99% and will vary with the market based on the Prime Rate. The fee for balance transfers made after June 30, 2013 will return to 3% (Min. $10 – Max. $250) per transaction. This transaction is subject to credit approval.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 5 of 16
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards Visa® Card

Learn More >>

• 5% cash back on gas purchases paid at the pump**
  • 0.25% cash back on all other purchases**
  • Rewards are unlimited and cash back is automatically credited to your account every month.
  • No annual fee
FICO 9:

Message 6 of 16
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

I highly recommend PenFed credit cards, as they are the cream of the crop regarding rewards for spending.

PenFed Platinum Rewards

• 5 points per dollar spent on gas purchases paid at the pump
  • 1 points per dollar spent on all other purchases
PenFed Premium Travel Rewards American Express® Card

Learn More >>

• 5 points on airfare purchases
  • 1 point on all other purchases
  • 20,000 bonus points when you spend $2,500 within the first 3 months of opening the card
  • No annual fee
  • 4.99% APR promotional balance transfer rate on transfers made from April 1, 2013 through June 30, 2013 for the life of balance with no balance transfer fee. After that, the APR for any new balance transfers will be 9.99% and will vary with the market based on the Prime Rate. The fee for balance transfers made after June 30, 2013 will return to 3% (Min. $10 – Max. $250) per transaction. This transaction is subject to credit approval.

Platinum Rewards is also 3% on supermarkets.

Message 7 of 16
cbmcbm
Established Member

BOA is 4 yrs, Firestone is 3 and Georgias Own 1 yr .Currently 0 inquiries. Would any one know who Chase pulls in GA?

Message 8 of 16
LS2982
Mega Contributor

I would highly recommend waiting until that EX baddie falls off before apping. Chase / AMEX like to pull EX.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 16
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Discover likes to pull EQ

FICO 9:

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.