Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC usage required

tag
joeblow2
Regular Contributor

CC usage required

Does anyone know how often you need to use a Captial One CC before they will close it ?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CC usage required

Anecdotal data suggests that Cap One doesn't close accounts for inactivity.  I don't plan on using my card very often, I'll report back in a year or so.

Message 2 of 19
joeblow2
Regular Contributor

Anyone know about Chase, Citi , or Barclay cards?

Message 3 of 19
David_
Established Member

I had a Barclay Apple Financing and it was closed due to 6 months of inactivity. I tried to merge it with my Barclay Rewards card and they told me to wait a few months. The few months just happened to go over the 6 month mark and it was closed. Thanks Barclay!

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a Cap1 Plat that I didn't use for nearly 5 years and they still didn't close it. They even offered to PC to QS and gave me a CLI from $750 to $5k. 

Message 5 of 19
psm
Contributor

For cards I want to keep open I put Netflix or Hulu or some recurring charge on it. Then have an autopay that pays it before statement cut so it is always 0 reporting. I have three like that after a CU card was closed on me after no use in 12 mos
08-2022: EQ 830, TU 834, EX 832 - total credit limit 230,000+
Message 6 of 19
joeblow2
Regular Contributor

Anyone else have experiences with Barclay Reward card closures for inactivity ?

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@joeblow2 wrote:

Anyone else have experiences with Barclay Reward card closures for inactivity ?

With Barclays, after a year they will send you a letter notifying you of closure if not used.  If you still don't use it and then they close it.  But they will let you know before the account is closed.

Message 8 of 19
Anomalous
Senior Contributor

To avoid that, I would make it a habit of charging something every six months. The simple purchase of an everyday household essential would do the trick, then one wouldn't have to worry about account closures. 

Create a calendar alert to remind you to do so.

Keep both your credit and your body in top shape!

Message 9 of 19
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

I'd suggest verifying with your creditors versus relying on posts since you'd have to verify the data anyway.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.