Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC utilization question

tag
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

CC utilization question

just out of curiosity.......see the question from time to time about how often you have to charge something on a card to keep it active.  Is getting a cash advance considered activity on a CC.  In other words for cards you don't use a lot could you do a cash advance and pay it  back within a few days considered activity.  I know you would have to pay a small amount of interest since there is usually no grace period and no rewards ......but would this make the acct look better rather than just not using it?

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Chris679
Established Contributor

Re: CC utilization question

Would work but it's a terrible idea. Just charge something small once a year and pay it off once it posts.
Message 2 of 26
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

@Chris679 wrote:
Would work but it's a terrible idea. Just charge something small once a year and pay it off once it posts.

True.....but if you don't use the card with significant charges you are less likely to get a CLI.....would getting cash advances at or close to your limits  improve the chances of such

Message 3 of 26
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@ecxpa wrote:

@Chris679 wrote:

True.....but if you don't use the card with significant charges you are less likely to get a CLI.....would getting cash advances at or close to your limits  improve the chances of such

Doubtful cash advances would get you a CLI this IMO makes someone look desperate for cash.

Message 4 of 26
Chris679
Established Contributor

I agree with the above, I don't think cash advance is ever a good idea. Should be only when you need it which should be never.
Message 5 of 26
NRB525
Super Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

@ecxpa wrote:

@Chris679 wrote:

Doubtful cash advances would get you a CLI this IMO makes someone look desperate for cash.

Most cards do have a cash advance feature. You might want to check a few things in your documentation however:

Instant cash advance fee, usually 3% or 4% of the advance amount, with a minimum charge, usually $10 sometimes more

The interest rate clock starts immediately, no grace period

The interest rate is usually much higher than any purchase APR you may have, not quite penalty APR, but nearly the same effect

The card probably has a specific "Cash advance" limit that is not your CL, often only a few hundred dollars.

Yes, the cash advance would be considered usage. And the title of this thread should be changed: It is not utilization you are discussing, it is usage. Different concept.

Cheers!

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 26
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

@ecxpa wrote:

@Chris679 wrote:

Excellent point and I agree.........just wonder how lenders see it or if anybody has had any experience.  Could this trigger AA?  Do other lenders actually know it is a cash advance

Message 7 of 26
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

@Chris679 wrote:
I agree with the above, I don't think cash advance is ever a good idea. Should be only when you need it which should be never.

I agree with the first part of your answer but not the last part........what if you are stranded somewhere without cash....after all that's what the cash advance feature is for isn't it?

Message 8 of 26
Chris679
Established Contributor

Other lenders will not see it and I'm not touching the AA question or I will be attacked by the fear-mongers.
Message 9 of 26
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

@ecxpa wrote:

@Chris679 wrote:

Most cards do have a cash advance feature. You might want to check a few things in your documentation however:

Instant cash advance fee, usually 3% or 4% of the advance amount, with a minimum charge, usually $10 sometimes more

The interest rate clock starts immediately, no grace period

The interest rate is usually much higher than any purchase APR you may have, not quite penalty APR, but nearly the same effect

The card probably has a specific "Cash advance" limit that is not your CL, often only a few hundred dollars.

Yes, the cash advance would be considered usage. And the title of this thread should be changed: It is not utilization you are discussing, it is usage. Different concept.

Cheers!

Points well taken and common knowledge.......however, not sure I understand your point about usage and utilization.......how are they so different?

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.