Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
New Visitor

CC w/Mother's Name - Keep Open?

Hello. I guess I didn't realize this but I had applied for a CC when I was in college with my name in the first position and added my mom's name to the application just in case I was turned down. After receiving the card I just went about my business for the next 15 years until my mom, while doing a credit review, wanted to know if I had a card in her name. I called my company and they advised that she was listed on my account as a joint holder from the time of original application. So I tried to get her removed, no dice.

So I just paid off the balance and it has sat unused for the past 6 months while I ponder what to do about it. Will this be damaging to her credit in any way if I leave it open but don't use it? Is there some obligatory amount I would need to charge now and then to keep it from being closed? I absolutely do not want to use it anymore, ever, but it is the longest account that I have by far so I also don't want it to cancel. We are both incredibly responsible with money so I don't see it being a problem (and she has never had a card of her own from the account), but we live in different cities and I just think that it's odd to have this link to each others credit history going on. It's really not fair to her.

So.. keep it open? Or let it go. I did have a card close once from inactivity of just over a year -- is there some kind of threshold or is that purely discretionary?

any advice is helpful! thanks

Valued Contributor

Re: CC w/Mother's Name - Keep Open?

No damage to credit.  In fact it will be helpful to both of you.  This is assuming it stays at 0 utilization and continues to age.  Which bank issued this card?  They won't transfer responsibility solely to you?  Also is there an annual fee?  One way to keep it active is to put small recurring payment like Netflix.  Then have a auto payment go out the next day so the card remains active and does not report a balance.  You might need to push payment as opposed to using credit card's auto payment solution as a lot of the auto payments will only do so after a statement is generated.

Mega Contributor

Re: CC w/Mother's Name - Keep Open?

I would leave it open and set up your recurring charges on it, as long as it has no AF.

Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.