Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC with a Tax Id #

tag
jdirilo
Frequent Contributor

CC with a Tax Id #

My husband got approved for a Cap 1 $300 unsecured card a year ago. We requested a CLI last week, and declined. Big surprise. Are there any other credit cards out there that he can get with a tax id number? I don't know his score, and not sure how to check it, since CK wouldnt accept it.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Re: CC with a Tax Id #

Yes bank of america does i think. I know a guy a with 4 bofa ccs he got using his tax id.
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 2 of 11
Tommy5746
Regular Contributor

Most Major banks issue business credit cards using the Tax ID or EIN

Goal: 700 and an Amex Card!

Chicks Dig Guys With Good Credit Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 11
djrez4
Established Contributor

When you say Tax ID, are you talking about a business or are you talking about that "sovereign citizen" opting out of social security BS?  

If the former, he should try to get some Net 30 accounts with vendors to establish tradelines.  Given time, he can then get business credit cards with a TIN.

If the latter, I don't think this is the right forum for you.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are talking about an ITIN (for those who aren't qualified to get a SSN), then most places should accept it.

But know that some banks will not grant unsecured credit to those who aren't permanent residents (INS/USCIS definition) e.g. Wells Fargo.

Message 5 of 11
jonmartin
Regular Contributor

Don't they still need to run your personal SS regardless? How can u get a CC off just a Tax ID? On their online app you have to enter your social.

Message 6 of 11
jdirilo
Frequent Contributor

Tax ID usually works in place of a ssn, depending.on the business/creditor. Thanks mrwheezy, yes its ITIN. I was surprised when he got approved last year for cap1 & I didnt! but he will have a ssn soon, so we are going to try for maybe the cap 1 newcomers card, maybe he will qualify. I will also add him to all of my cc's as AU to build his credit. Hopefully Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you apply for a SSN, your ITIN will become your new SSN usually. The number stays the same from what I am told. If not, just send an update to your creditors and the bureaus.

Message 8 of 11
alboto
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

When you apply for a SSN, your ITIN will become your new SSN usually. The number stays the same from what I am told. If not, just send an update to your creditors and the bureaus.

when you apply for a SSN, you get a completely new # different to the ITIN.

Message 9 of 11
2ndTimeAround2012
Valued Member

Hello,

When I was filling out an online application for a credit card with WFNNB

there was an option to input the ITIN or SS#.

I don't recall the store maybe New York & Co or Victoria's Secret...

You might want to try them Smiley Happy

ooh Also, you can try your local bank. If your husband has a checking account - which you can open with the ITIN #, they can issue a credit card.

Most likely it will be secured but eventually they will offer an unsecured.

Best of luck!!

Rebuilding Mode!
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.