Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC with no annual fee, FICO 628?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CC with no annual fee, FICO 628?

My husband currently has no cc's open, which is contributing to his not-so-hot FICO score of 628.  We are planning to apply for a mortgage in about a year, which made me think now would be a good time for him to establish a credit card and have 10-12 months of paying on time to help boost his credit by the time we apply.  Is there any chance of him finding a credit card with no annual fee with that FICO?  If so, which one?

Also, there's no option of me adding him as an AU, as I'm still in the process of rebuilding my credit myself.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CC with no annual fee, FICO 628?

Any chance eitther of you are in the military? were in the Military or have family members active, reserve ro retired?
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately no Smiley Sad
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Consider Alliant
Message 4 of 7
JoeBJay20
Established Contributor

Look at establishing a secured CC with a local credit union, preferably one that automatically will graduate to unsecured status after a period of paying on time and staying under the credit limit. 
Message 5 of 7
WannaHouse
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Any chance eitther of you are in the military? were in the Military or have family members active, reserve ro retired?

Thought I would borrow this thread. My dad was in the army. What card were you thinking of and what info would I need? He is no longer alive. Smiley Sad

Kathy

We are finally homeowners!!

Closed May 5th-30 yr fixed at 5.25%.

Message 6 of 7
pattycake
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My husband currently has no cc's open, which is contributing to his not-so-hot FICO score of 628.  We are planning to apply for a mortgage in about a year, which made me think now would be a good time for him to establish a credit card and have 10-12 months of paying on time to help boost his credit by the time we apply.  Is there any chance of him finding a credit card with no annual fee with that FICO?  If so, which one?

Also, there's no option of me adding him as an AU, as I'm still in the process of rebuilding my credit myself.

Thanks!

You may want to also check out the mortgage boards.  Shane says you need about two years of solid payment history for most mortgages, but post a question there.  

With his scores, he could try one of Capital One's rebuilder cards or Orchard.  I am not a big fan of Orchard, but they are a good builder/rebuilder card.  

pattycake's FICOs: 6/2/10 - TU: 708; EX: ???; EQ: 749
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.