Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC ??

tag
Cheryla18
Established Contributor

CC ??

I've read some reponses from people about how to get the highest score possible by having at least 2 CC...having 1 report $0 and the other keeping it 1-9%..... 

I am joint on a CLOSED CC with my mom showing CL 1,500....balance 404.00...however I paid that off 3 weeks ago and waiting for it to update so balance is actually zero....and I now have a secured CC with a 1,000.00  CL and i have charged only $24.85 and i plan to keep it at that. So my question is....Will this closed acct "act" as  having a 2nd card since it is showing a CL even though it is closed...Because i don't understand how having a balance on a closed card can be factored into your Ulti...but not help out in the manner that i've asked.

Thanks

Cheryl

Current as of 3/21/18 EQ 609 TU 619 EX 628
Discharge 7/2016 Ch 7 BK
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
ElCamino
Contributor

Re: CC ??

The closed CC will report as closed, so it will have no impact at all on your util. However, it will contribute to your AAoA for 10 years before falling off, so in that respect it will help your score.

There is no magic number of active TLs that will make your score better, but generally, having many old TLs in good standing will be better than having only a handful.

Amex BCE: $16.5k, Discover It: $5k, Chase Freedom Visa: $10k, Fidelity Amex: $7.5k, PenFed Cash Rewards Visa: $3.5k, CapOne Union Plus MC: $4.5k, Barclays Upromise MC: $5k, BoA Cash Rewards 123 MC: $1.5k
Message 2 of 7
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@ElCamino wrote:

The closed CC will report as closed, so it will have no impact at all on your util. However, it will contribute to your AAoA for 10 years before falling off, so in that respect it will help your score.

There is no magic number of active TLs that will make your score better, but generally, having many old TLs in good standing will be better than having only a handful.

Good info. Its the age of the accounts that matters the most.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

----> The closed CC will report as closed, so it will have no impact at all on your util.

Just to clarify, in this case the credit card is factored into revolving utilization even as closed ~ because both the credit limit and balance are reported.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 7
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

There is also a few points to be gained, though, by having a ratio of active cards being used.  For instance, if I have 10 open revolving accounts, and I have 3 of those cards with a small balance and the others at $0, my score will fair better than if I have a balance on all 10 of my 10 open accounts... even if total utilization is exactly the same.

This factor of utilization (not the % of total CL but the % of open cards being used) is why you should have 2 OPEN revolving accounts.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 5 of 7
KIPPIE12
Established Contributor

@DaveSignal wrote:

There is also a few points to be gained, though, by having a ratio of active cards being used.  For instance, if I have 10 open revolving accounts, and I have 3 of those cards with a small balance and the others at $0, my score will fair better than if I have a balance on all 10 of my 10 open accounts... even if total utilization is exactly the same.

This factor of utilization (not the % of total CL but the % of open cards being used) is why you should have 2 OPEN revolving accounts.

My score from EQ factors much better with 2-3 credit cards reporting a balance..  This month all my cards have reported, and EQ dropped 15 points, because i left only 2 reporting, but TU went up.  I've managed to keep it this way for awhile now. But, for optimal scoring purposes, it's best to be 1-9% total util, but even this varies per person, per bureau.

Current Score: EQ: 828, EX: 833, TU: 820 Citi TY Premier WEMC 46.5, (Since 1983)Discover 15.6k|BOA WMC 30.5k|Barclays Juniper Rewards 15k|Barclays Amex 20k| Cap One QS WMC 15K|Chase Freedom VS 19.3k|Citi Dividend WEMC 25k|FNBO 15.5k|CSP 22.1K|Chase Marriott 31.3k|Citi TYP 20K|Citi DP 16.5k|Macys 5k|Sams MasterCard 15k|Barclay Arrival Plus WEMC 18.7k|Chase IHG WMC 26k|Citi Double Cash 10k|Chase MileagePlus Explorer 14k|Amex Everyday 16.2|BBVA Amex 22.5k|Total Rewards VS 12.5k|SGV 10K|Venture 12k|BOA Virgin Atlantic WEMC 11.2K|MB Amex 9.5k
Message 6 of 7
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@KIPPIE12 wrote:

@DaveSignal wrote:

My score from EQ factors much better with 2-3 credit cards reporting a balance..  This month all my cards have reported, and EQ dropped 15 points, because i left only 2 reporting, but TU went up.  I've managed to keep it this way for awhile now. But, for optimal scoring purposes, it's best to be 1-9% total util, but even this varies per person, per bureau.

I am not saying that any specific number of cards reporting is the correct answer, simply that I have noticed score changes based on the ratio of cards being used (cards  reporting greater than $0 balance).  There is some scoring factor here that is seperate from the total utilization %.  The same number of cards reporting might not generate the same points for every credit profile, but there is definately some kind of change when all of the cards have a balance vs only a few.  Someone trying to play with this factor in order to try to get the highest score would not be able to do much if they only had 1 open tradeline.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.