Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CCC Creating Accounts At Will?

tag
creditguy-378
Regular Contributor

Re: CCC Creating Accounts At Will?

It has been a long time since I have seen this marketing tactic I remember when I was a kid that my dad mom and grandma got cards all the time in the mail without app. They would just need to call and app over the phone at the time then they would tell them there credit limit and it would be activated guess they are starting this again

always use credit wisely and you won't ever feel like you're working just for the task master
Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditguy-378 wrote:

It has been a long time since I have seen this marketing tactic I remember when I was a kid that my dad mom and grandma got cards all the time in the mail without app. They would just need to call and app over the phone at the time then they would tell them there credit limit and it would be activated guess they are starting this again

@stan_the_man wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So a coworker of mine comes in today and says he received an AMEX card in the mail.  He is not, nor has he ever been an AMEX customer.  I assumed he meant he got a pre-approved/pre-screened/whatever you call them offers.

However, he says it's a real card, with his name, and a bunch of documents with account information, etc.  The card has one of those "Call this number to activate" stickers on it.  He says he didn't apply for anything.

Is this even legal?

It was actually very common practice in the 1960s and 1970s to send our CCs unsolicited. That practice is now illegal.

Very interesting.  I'll update you all on Monday when I talk to him!

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

My coworker made a mistake.  The card was actually one of those "pre-approved" dummy cards.  He was confused because there was a fake account number on the letter and he thought it was an account they created for him.

I still don't think he understands that it's completely legal for CCCs to send stuff like this in the mail.

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

we give my nephew the fake dummy cards that come in the mail for his wallet, he likes to have his wallet look like mine lol

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover just sent my mother a card in this exact fashion. It came in an orange cardboard package and says something like 'remember no annual free? True cash rewards? Great customer service?' ... And then inside "Remember your Discover?"
A card is enclosed with her old account date of 1993. Along with a sticker that says please call to activate. The account had been closed for about 10 years.
Simultaneously I've gotten a pre-approval letter from them 1-2 per week in the mail for a discover more. Guess they're really looking for customers. In my moms case, her FICO is nearly 850, so everyone likes her. Lol. She is however opted out for offers, a few banks actually comply.
Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

BTW, I've checked it out. The card is 100% real, with her info and an expiration date (swiping bar etc).
Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
BTW, I've checked it out. The card is 100% real, with her info and an expiration date (swiping bar etc).

Lots of strange stuff going on these days  Smiley Surprised  They must really want her to reopen that account...

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup, I remember her closing it because nobody around here at the time took discover, so she hardly ever used it. A lot has changed in that regard. Most places do seem to take it these days. At least in terms of retail outlets. I'd consider accepting one of their persistent offers but I already have more credit than I need and the rewards weren't any better than what I already have. But they're definitely persistent, though, not as bad as CITI. LOL.
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.