Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CCC are marketing credit score monitoring

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CCC are marketing credit score monitoring

I had spoke with a CSR from my Discover card and at the end of the conversation she tried to sell me monitoring service to help keep up with my credit score. I asked was it the vantage or plus scores and she said yes. I asked when you approved me, were those the scores Discover used and she said no, they use Fico. I politely declined.

Before I came to this site I would have bit and paid additional fee's to monitor my FAKO scores but MyFico has open my eyes to a lot of the nonsense. Just wanted to say thanks.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: CCC are marketing credit score monitoring

@Anonymous wrote:

I had spoke with a CSR from my Discover card and at the end of the conversation she tried to sell me monitoring service to help keep up with my credit score. I asked was it the vantage or plus scores and she said yes. I asked when you approved me, were those the scores Discover used and she said no, they use Fico. I politely declined.

Before I came to this site I would have bit and paid additional fee's to monitor my FAKO scores but MyFico has open my eyes to a lot of the nonsense. Just wanted to say thanks.

You're not alone. I was the same way.

Message 2 of 8
marty56
Super Contributor

At least the CSR was honest.  OT but National City, a TU puller used to use True Credit but the switched to an Experian based service last year.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 3 of 8
sgs10
Regular Contributor

I had those marketing with discover, cap1 & citi.

Message 4 of 8
laz98
Senior Contributor

my express card just tried to sell me on some identity theft program they have, kind of like credit monitoring & lifelock all-in-one.  kinda weird, for a store card.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Everytime that I call any of my CCCs, they do the sales pitch at the end of the call. I had no idea there were so many different Fakos out there!

Message 6 of 8
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

I prefer to do all of my contact with my CCC through email. I never call them unless its urgent.

Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value
Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

800+ Club
Message 7 of 8
Duke-of-Earl
Regular Contributor

Trouble is, your e-mail will be answered by a robot.  It will piece together a response from a database of phrases keyed to just one or two words in your message.  Then it will tack on a patronizing lecture about something you probably are *not* doing wrong anyway, with a final advice to contact the company by e-mail instead next time.

No criticism intended of you and your preference, ngerasimatos, just of the system.  I used to try to resolve problems through e-mail contacts too.  At first, it seemed so much easier than clicking through useless "press 1 for ..." menus and eventually listening to a recorded sales pitch while waiting for a C"S" rep.  But then I realized my frustration with the invariably non-responsive e-mail answers was even worse than the phone experience.

Starting Score: EQ 804 - (April 2009)
Upgraded thanks to FICO Forums: EQ 813 / EX 842 / TU 823 - (FICO scores from mortgage lenders, June 2010)
Recent Scores: EQ 807 / TU 799 - (March 2012)
Goal: Survive Another Day
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.