cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CCL what amounts are considered high on average?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CCL what amounts are considered high on average?

I have 1 CC MBNA PLT+ $20K- 6 add CC @ $10k each- 2 CC @ 8K-1 @ 7200 My FICO"s are EQI783 TU780 EXP760. Are these CLI"s average I know that other people have considerable higher, limits than what I have curiosity where do I stand in the mix of things. Credit 08
Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CCL what amounts are considered high on average?

Most people on this board do not even have one $10k card forget a $20k card. Most people here consider $10k to be a high limit. With your scores you may be able to get cli's though.
Message 2 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for quick reply I dont intend to come across as being holier than thou its that I have never had, access to talk openly across the board with you fine folks on any of these topics just wanted somones elses opinions. credit 08
Message 3 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

You did not come across as holier than thou. I was just pointing out that many on here have not yet been blessed with a cls that high. I currently don't even have a $5k card. But will next year when all the inq's from my app spree hit a yr. and stop holding my score down.
Message 4 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Adding htis up -- you have almost 100K in available credit.  It not chickenfeed!
Message 5 of 38
dragnldy
Regular Contributor

When I had really good credit (I really did once upon a time pre-marrying ex), I had 2 @ 5K and one @ 3K.  And that was when I was in my early twenties.
Ficos
3/7/08 TU-646 EQ-640 EX-650
3/17/09 TU-678 EQ 666
3/20/12 TU- 760 EQ 785
Util almost 0 and baddies all gone! now to gardening!
Message 6 of 38
MattH
Senior Contributor

Well, I dunno what's typical but here are my current CC limits:

Chase Card $25,000
Citicard $23,400
Discover Card $10,400

They keep raising my limits and making balance transfer offers in the futile
hope of getting me to carry a balance since I pay in full every month, my only
debts are the car which will be paid off in a couple months and the mortgage.
My wife calls them "credit pushers" for trying so hard to get us running up a
balance.

DW is an authorized user on the Chase Card and has her own Citicard with
I think about a $7K limit (like me she doesn't carry a revolving balance).
She is also on mortgage, but car loan is in my name only.

I also have two Amex cards, my personal card which is my oldest active
account and a Corporate Card through work, but these have no predefined limit.
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 7 of 38
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Amongst most of us FICO freaks, 10K would be considered quite high. For those in the real world, 20K and up.
Message 8 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

FWIW, when asked to estimate your own credit rating on CapOne's site, one of the requirements for being able to say you ave "Excellent Credit" is that you have a CC with a limit greater than $10K.

Then again, that's CapOne, so take it for what it's worth.

Message 9 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Most people I know with credit scores in the 780-820 range had a est total combined credit limits of about 25% of their net-income. None had over $100k in revolving credit or under $10k in rev credit. Avg again for CLs about $5,000 up to $25,000, a few at $30k and none over that.

However people that I know with scores between 720-750 had credit limits about 60%-120% of their Gross income. Avg credit line was about $5,000; rarely do I ever see over $15k regardless of income.

And finally people that I know that have scores below 640 have between $100-$1,200 total credit lines regardless of income with the average CL $325.

This was just a rough think up. Age had another effect on CLs too since older folks had more time for credit line increases.

With credit scores 780+. Regardless of income. If you are under 25 yrs and have over $80k in total rev credit you are way a head of mostly all. Over 30 yrs and have over $100k in total credit you are way a head of mostly all.

And I'm just guessing on this one... If you have more than $150 in total rev credit at any age, you probably in my "guess" have more than 89% of the USA.

And anyone who qualifies for a $30k CL for a single card has some seriously great credit! You need more than a good credit score for $30k. I'd say it's not how much you have but what is your highest card limit. It's easier to get 10 cards with $10k than it is to get 1 card with $30k. But I'd say I only know 1 person under 30 yrs with over $40k in total rev credit. That's a lot of money.

You also have to take in to count the Home factor. Do you rent or own. It makes all the difference. If you rent and have over $30k total credit you are doing amazing! However with good credit and a deed on a home $30k total credit is not that difficult if your income will support it because the bank knows they can hold up the sale of your house one day to get paid if needed. So if you have all that credit and no home that's something I very rarely see people get half way close to.

Message Edited by ilovepizza on 04-03-2008 08:10 PM
Message 10 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.