Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CCs as "Emergency Funds" vs. Regular Savings

tag
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

Re: CCs as "Emergency Funds" vs. Regular Savings

@Dw4250 wrote:

Ok hopefully this does not come off as preachy.  This post is mainly for some of the newer members on the board.  I’ve read a few posts on the forum recently (and a couple of other places) about people wanting to build up their credit limits up for the purpose of serving as an “emergency fund”/ “insurance”.  They are a lot of great reasons to go for large CLI’s…but I would respectfully submit that using your credit cards as insurance for financial hardship is NOT a good idea.

I know this is a credit forum so we understandably focus on obtaining/maintaining good credit.  But it is equally important to save money for the future (this will also indirectly help your credit) as well as save for unanticipated events.  Most financial experts recommend having at least three separate savings accounts:

1. General Savings (to save up for a mortgage, car, vacations, etc.)
  2. Long Term/Retirement Savings (IRA, 401K, etc.)
  3. “Rainy Day” Fund containing 3-6 months of salary (only to be used in extreme emergencies such as layoff, medical/family emergency, etc.)

I can speak from personal experience that not having a rainy day fund sucks.  Back in 2009, I was already on thin ice with my credit and was basically living check to check…and ended up being laid off for 3 months.  Even though this was a relatively short period of time, it sent me on a financial/credit death spiral that has taken me almost 5 years to recover.

So as important as it is to build great credit, please do not forget to put money away for the three purposes stated above.  Even for college kids, putting small amounts put away consistently can make a BIG difference down the road.  I started my rainy day fund by putting in only $50/month.  Now I’ve got a solid 4 months gross salary in there, and hoping to have 6 months by the end of the year.

OK I’m off the soap box now…lol.

Great post! I was happy to read about the three savings accounts. Good to know that I am doing things right. 

Message 11 of 33
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

@wa3more wrote:

unfortunately, he was his own financial planner. Most sucessful people think their success translates to other business ventures outside their area of expertise. But they dont realize "they dont know what they don't know". Can't go wrong with real estate right ??

He asked his dad if he wanted to be partners in some of the restaurants. His father said " I dont know anything about the restaurant business" And his father probably had a net worth of about $75 million. It should of told him something. It told me invest only in what  you know.

Restaurants are notorious for being money pits and bad investments.  OTOH if he had bought a McDonald's franchise or even a Chipotle in a high traffic area, he could see a nice return on investment.  It's pretty expensive up front, but if you run it well and hire competent managers, those things can be money printing factories.  My guess is your buddy wasn't looking to run a Mickey D's though... Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 33
wa3more
Established Contributor

No , he did not want to grill fries or make happy meals.

He went to Texas on business and liked the BBQ places they had.. Then came back and refurbished a mexican restaurant into a BBQ/ribs sports bar type place. 2009 was a tough time to do this.

Message 13 of 33
Stralem
Established Contributor

Had savings.

Family issues happened, things spiraled out of control. Savings wiped out.

Had two choices: float a few thousand dollars across a few cards or become homeless.

I made my choice. Still paying the balances down, but at least I'm not doing so while living under a bridge.

Agree with the OP's overall message, but sometimes, relying on just your savings to get you through a tough spot isn't feasible.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 14 of 33
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Stralem wrote:

Had savings.

Family issues happened, things spiraled out of control. Savings wiped out.

Had two choices: float a few thousand dollars across a few cards or become homeless.

I made my choice. Still paying the balances down, but at least I'm not doing so while living under a bridge.

Agree with the OP's overall message, but sometimes, relying on just your savings to get you through a tough spot isn't feasible.

Yes, it makes sense to have a good emergency fund, but in any prolonged crisis, it can run out, and then using cc might be the only reasonable option.   But, as pointed out, if the issuers detect your declining situation first, they can CLD your accounts, so you cannot rely on there being large CLs left when you need them.

Message 15 of 33
konupe3
Valued Member

About a year and half ago I wanted to return to the dj business (After djing from ag 16-25). So I bought a bunch of equipment on credit instead of depleting my savings. I had a good clientele even after taking five years off so I was starting to get gigs and using the money to pay down the CC debt. Then as many people have mentioned, life happened, and my wife got a promotion with her job. Thing is, the promotion was in California, we lived in PA. We wanted to move to California in about five years, not five months. But my wife really wanted the new opportunity, so I did what a husband is supposed to do, support my wife. So I said lets do it, and we moved to California. I sold all my equipment at a loss because dj equipment does not hold great value and quit my day job to move to CA. 

Even though my wife's company paid for all of our moving expenses, I was putting out money left and right preparing to rent our home out in PA, being without a job in CA, interviewing expenses etc. Needless to say, all of the money I did get back from the dj equipment, instead of putting it on the credit cards. I pretty much had to use that to survive for the month I was out in CA with no job. Not to mention rent is crazy our here. 

So now I'm carrying around 14k in credit card debt at this time, then two months ago the sewer line at my house in PA collapses and requires 8.5K in repairs. So I had to make a decision, do I carry balances on my credit cards or spend my entire savings on repairing a sewer line? I chose to take advantage of using a credit card a 0% interest for a year instead. 

So I say all of that to say this, in a ideal world, yes, you dont use your credit cards and you save a whole bunch of money and everything works out fine. But unfortunately, for some people like myself, life does happen and you have to make tough choices. Even though I have a bunch of credit card debt right now, I'm doing what I need to do to pay it down (putting over $500 a month on cards) and taking advantage of my credit score and the ability to have cards with 0% interest. 

I could have played if safe, stayed in PA continuing to dj, paying down my credit card debt and staying at my comfortable job. But life is boring when you play it safe, and I'm glad I decided to move out here to CA with my wife. Way more opportunity out here than PA, and in the long run, I'm sure I will make out better. 

Thanks for listening to my Emergency fund story, sorry for the length. 

Fico Plus Scores: EX: 735 EQ:744 TU: 743
Message 16 of 33
ways2go
Frequent Contributor

Konupe3, that's a good story. Thanks for sharing it.
Message 17 of 33
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

Thanks so much to everyone for sharing their stories and giving their input.  What I love about this board is people can express differences in opinion without being disagreeable.  I think we can all agree though that having money (savings) is better than not having money…lol! Smiley Wink

That being said, real life and circumstances beyond our control often rise up and kick us in the teeth.  We are then forced to choose not between a good choice and bad choice, but between a series of bad choices where we then have to pick the “least bad” option. 

In a real emergency, of course we all do what we have to do to survive.  For example even if I had 6 months of salary saved, were I laid off for a year or more or had some type of family emergency, eventually I would have to use some of my credit (or be forced to make some other really tough choices). 

The only point I was attempting to make in my original post was to address several threads I had read that seemed to promote enlarging CLI as a prudent (first line?) plan in case of ‘emergency’.  It is a plan to be sure and can be used as such, but it is not a prudent long term plan.  Believe me I know because I have lived it. 

Once my last baddie falls off my reports next year, my plan is to spend one weekend home alone with a bottle of 14 year old single malt scotch, and go through the 4-5 shoeboxes in my attic containing all the old statements, letters, bills, and al from creditors and collection agencies during the dark days (I saved them all!).  I will then sit down and calculate all the late fees, interest, penalties, collections fees, etc. I’ve paid over the years.  I don’t want to do it now because I’m pretty sure I would throw up.  If I had to guess, it would be in the tens of thousands...

I am living proof that counting on “credit” in a crisis situation to get by can only be used in the shortest of time frames.  After that, the banks will come to collect their money (with interest).  And if you don’t have it, they will make your life miserable for a long, long time.

Message 18 of 33
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

A few months old, but quite useful!

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Stralem wrote:

Yes, it makes sense to have a good emergency fund, but in any prolonged crisis, it can run out, and then using cc might be the only reasonable option.   But, as pointed out, if the issuers detect your declining situation first, they can CLD your accounts, so you cannot rely on there being large CLs left when you need them.

True, it takes a mix of income, both savings and credit, to form an emergency fund. At the same time, there are several funds to consider. "No matter how eager you are to have a fat emergency fund, you shouldn’t sacrifice retirement savings."

Message 19 of 33
kdm31091
Super Contributor

We were just talking about this the other day in a thread - funny this got bumped today!

Anyway, I'm a firm believer that you should not rely on a credit card as a crutch for an emergency. You should have savings in some type of liquid account to float you along because of several reasons -- you may not be able to PIF and will pay lots of interest which will lead you into a mountain of debt; issuers can CLD your accounts at random if utilization is high - they can also close them!

In essence you are just digging a deeper hole. You are starting off with a problem (the emergency) and potentally ending up in a bigger problem (long lasting debt).

Now, I think having a credit card as backup can make sense if you do not want to keep a ton of money in a savings account or whatever. But for anyone to suggest CC's instead of actual cash in an emergency -- that's a dangerous idea.

Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.