cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CFNA - Firestone / Many other tire cards CLI?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CFNA - Firestone / Many other tire cards CLI?

Ok guys I have a firestone card that I only opened because I NEEDED new tires and didnt have the money. The metal wire was showing through on my others so this was out of necessity. I was approved for $1050. Anything over $349 has 6 months no interest so I put new tires on my explorer and then we put new tires on our van also which maxed out the card and we paid the cash difference (like $100) for the rest. So from week 1 card was maxed. My fourth statement just cut and every statement I have paid more than the minimum and this next payday I am going to pay a significant portion off. When I log into my account to make payments and view balances and statements on the main account info screen to the right in large red letters it reads:

"Your account is not eligible for a credit limit review at this time. If you have any questions feel free to contact customer service at 1-800-321-3950."

I have not called yet I wanted to get others experiences first. I only want a CLI to reduce overall utilization and maybe to attract other creditors to give me better limits as well. Is there a minimum account open time before CLI's? Is it at like a 6month or 12 month mark or is it random or does it always say that? Has anyone had any success with calling and asking for increases with and without the message?

Thanks for any replies.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

Re: CFNA - Firestone / Many other tire cards CLI?

I do not know how much this info will help, but...

I have had this card for about a year and a half, and that message that you speak of is very common.  Sometimes, you will have a box to tick to request a CLI, but understand that there is also a message there that says that they perform a credit check (hard pull) to process the CLI request.  My CL with them was intially 1200 and I got that message for months, but sometimes I was given the opportunity to request a CLI, I have never done it because I do not want to risk the pull.  The message also clearly states that your CL might also decrease as a result of this credit check.  Maybe 3 months ago, I was paying my bill online and saw that they had actually given me a $200.00 CLI without my asking.  Since this is one of my higher CLs, I just do not want to risk actually having it lowered. 

*Note to self* Remember why and for how long you had to rebuild in the first place! One Day at a Time, One Day at a Time!
Message 2 of 4
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

i thought this card does not report cl on credit just highest balance? i got this card because they gave it to anyone who applied a couple years ago and have never used it so it's not even on my credit.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:

i thought this card does not report cl on credit just highest balance? i got this card because they gave it to anyone who applied a couple years ago and have never used it so it's not even on my credit.

I guess I got a little ahead of myself. I should have reviewed my report first. I knew it was on there but have never looked carefully. Upon reviewing my credit report it does list the firestone account. Below is how it is listed though:

Firestone

Account Type: Revolving or Option    (have never heard of option will having an option account help my mix with installment and revolving or is that useless?)

High Credit $1000

Credit Limit N/A

Amount in H/C is credit limit

So I guess it only reports your highest balance as your credit limit. However it only shows that with reading everything so I wonder how this card is scored. Since the credit limit part is N/A but my current balance is around $800 and my high credit is $1000 how is this affecting my utilization or is it not scored in FICO since the credit limit column is N/A? I guess the CLI option is useless now for me as that has no effect and I sure dont need to make another large purchase with them anytime soon.

Thank you creditaddict for bringing this to my attention.

Now can anyone explain how or if this account is even scored in my utilization? I am wandering if it isnt scored since no credit limit is there or if it adds $800 to my used credit and $0 to my available credit making my utilization higher than it really is?

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.