cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CFPB Success! US BANK paid me total of 400$ bonus.2 Credit cards + Checking account.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CFPB Success! US BANK paid me total of 400$ bonus.2 Credit cards + Checking account.

I love CFPB. May it continue to work in the best interest of consumers. I have been very impressed with the resolution i have received so far .

My complaint and resolution involves 2 of my us bank credit card bonuses , so i thought of posting it here under credit cards. Mods, pls Feel free to move this post to the appropriate section if need be. Thanks .

So here is a little history.

Us bank sent me a flyer for 200$ checking account bonus if i opened a checking account and fulfilled recurring direct deposits totalling 500$ within 60 days. Flyer did not have any mention of what qualifies as direct deposit. it simply said direct deposit. My first DD was from paypal on oct 16th.

After i opened my checking account i was prequalified for us bank cash+ and us bank 365 amex and they had me prequalified me for 19.99% and also 100$ bonus for each card for spending 500 in 3 months. I applied and was approved. and met the requirement for cash+ and called them to ask for bonus. they sent me back and forth to various different departments and finally concluded that they dont see the bonus offer attached my account. I faxed them the copy of my screen shots on two different dates and did not receive any reply .  I finally postal mailed them the screen shots and asked them to honor the bonus. After a week i received a letter from USBANK cardmember services saying that unfortunately i did not click the link of prequalification page that was submitted for review , therefore they cannot honor the bonus.

At around the same time i also received an email reply from USBANK banking customer service saying that i did not meet the qualifying Direct deposit for my checking account bonus there fore they cannot give me the bonus.

All of this communication with us bank happend between Oct 16th to Nov 14th. And i saved every single correspondence and screen shots and all the documentation proof.

On nov 14th 2017 i prepared my case for CFPB and filed 2 complaints against USBANK.

One for credit card bonuses 100$ for each card  and the other for checking account bonus of 200$ .

The turn around was so quick and positive.

On nov 17th i believe just 3 days after US bank resolved my checking account CFPB complaint with a letter of apology and monetary relief of 200$.

And on Nov 29th that is today they resolved my Credit card CFPB complaint with a letter of apology, explaination and montary relief of 100$ and 100 more to come.

i have attached two images of us bank responses before and after CFPB complaint which are self explainatory Smiley Happy. I am very glad that i received positive resolution due CFPB involvment.

Credit card cfpb.jpgChecking account CFPB.jpg

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CFPB Success! US BANK paid me total of 400$ bonus.2 Credit cards + Checking account.

Good for you! Congratulations.

Message 2 of 16
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Re: CFPB Success! US BANK paid me total of 400$ bonus.2 Credit cards + Checking account.

Nicely done, congratulations! 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 3 of 16
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Congrats & good going CFPB!

I did  US Bank bonus in July because it was so easy, no direct deposit just use bill pay a couple times, and I got the $200 bonus in a month or so. But when they require a direct deposit they do need to specify if they require it to be a government benefit or payroll, and US Bank should know that just saying "Direct Deposit" means anything deposited electronically.

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveInAZ wrote:

Congrats & good going CFPB!

I did  US Bank bonus in July because it was so easy, no direct deposit just use bill pay a couple times, and I got the $200 bonus in a month or so. But when they require a direct deposit they do need to specify if they require it to be a government benefit or payroll, and US Bank should know that just saying "Direct Deposit" means anything deposited electronically.

Exactly. The flyer did not specify what qualfies as DD fot Usbank. It said recurring direct deposits.

Screenshot_20171129-133117.jpg

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good job, that’s how you do it! Is the bonus still available?
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Enter your info and check if you are prequalfied on us bank site. I think its also good if you call and confirm before you apply for their cards. Their system screws up i think and does not attach bonus to some accounts
Message 7 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Congratulations. Might be one of the last CFPB acts to help the consumer....
Message 8 of 16
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

lets not get into poltics as I see that coming next.  Thanks Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lets hope not the last. Sometimes management can change but still the agency can continue to work mostly for its original cause. Just because some political changes are happening does not mean the consequencies are going to be always dire. The agency stands for protecting customers and i trust it will continue no matter the apparent changes. Remember its the group of people that work collectively bring about changes not one or two individuals even if they appear to have authority. I trust all will be well with CFPB. Imbalance cannot exist for long. Everything in life balances itself eventually Smiley Wink
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.