cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CHASE CLOSED ALL MY CC ACCOUNTS?!?!!?!

tag
yfan
Valued Contributor

Re: CHASE CLOSED ALL MY CC ACCOUNTS?!?!!?!

One of the issues that are happening here is that Chase, like any other lender, would actually like for you to use their cards so they can earn swipe fees. With 12 cards in 12 months, your options are way too many. Sure too many credit cards in a short period of time is a credit risk, but a lender also considers that your spend may be spread too thin and they may not be getting enough swipes.

One way to show them that you would, since you asked for sugegstions on what would make it more likely for Chase to reactivate your accounts down the line, would be to close some of your other accounts voluntarily. Fewer revolving accounts is both less risk and it tells Chase you want to use them, not the other guys.

Will this guarantee success? No. And you may also want to consider the cost of closing the other cards.

Message 11 of 180
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow... that's insane. I'm really sorry to see this happen to you. I'm surprised that it was Chase that did this. This is the type of behavior I would expect from Synchrony or Barclay's. 

I personally have nothing but great things to say about Chase. But I will def take your story and keep this in mind. 

It's not all that unusual for Chase to close accounts, although more usually associated with transfering of URs against their rules or because of issues with Chase bank accounts.   But many new accounts appears to be a risk factor in the big FT thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1526572-consolidated-chase-closed-my-credit-card-account-s.html

Message 12 of 180
yfan
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

what pisses me off is that you take years to build up a decent score and then chase just closes the accounts out of now where. I mean I pay all my bills on time, pay more than the minium and this is the thanks I get.  It's like you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. 

Damned if you do and damned if you don't... do what, exactly?

Chase is a big lender. They have lots of good cards. They have amassed enough market power - the same market power that allows them to offer these great deals on these great cards, by the way - to be able to call the shots. I doubt they are losing any sleep over a few customers being unhappy with account closures.

Message 13 of 180
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

OP -- out of curiosity, are you opted out (https://www.optoutprescreen.com)?
Message 14 of 180
Anonymous
Not applicable

@yfan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

what pisses me off is that you take years to build up a decent score and then chase just closes the accounts out of now where. I mean I pay all my bills on time, pay more than the minium and this is the thanks I get.  It's like you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. 

Damned if you do and damned if you don't... do what, exactly?

Chase is a big lender. They have lots of good cards. They have amassed enough market power - the same market power that allows them to offer these great deals on these great cards, by the way - to be able to call the shots. I doubt they are losing any sleep over a few customers being unhappy with account closures.

@I have to agree with @yfan here.  Also, something else in your profile caused them to close your account and not just new accounts.  There are many people on here with more than 12 accounts accrued last year and Chase has not bothered to close them down.

I am sorry to hear this happen but there is more to credit than paying bills on time.  I know you are pissed right now and rightly so, but once the anger fades, take the time and approach getting new accounts / cards strategically moving forward.

Hang in there.

Message 15 of 180
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am really sorry this happened to you OP. I admit, it's easy to get caught up, especially when you hang around here, wanting all the new and shiny things Smiley Happy I hope it works out for you. 

Message 16 of 180
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

Sorry to hear about your Chase AA, how are your inquiries?

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 17 of 180
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have about 15 inquries and the 12 new open accounts in a year.  That was wht the CR said to me and siad that my AAoA is too short which is why the accounts were closed. I thought about what one poster said maybe close a couple cards that I don't really need to show Chase that I will use their cards more in the future. But the thing is I mainly use my AMEX PRG so that I don't have much debt and the CSP....it really sucks that it was the day I got the RITZ that is happened and I only used it once to by something at MCDonalds and that's it.  I plan on paying down my CSP to about $500 currently its at $2300 and the Hyatt down to $200, it's only at $1200 and calling back in maybe 4 months to see what they say.  I get that opening new accounts right now isn't a good idea so defineyly won't be doing that(Was gonna garden for about 2 years after getting the Ritz anyways). Like I said just pisses me off that this happened, I've been responsible with the cards but not so much with the applying for new credit and still feel that that's not really a completly valid reason for closing my accounts. to make matters worse I'm pretty sure that Trip Delay claim I had been working on isn't gonna go through if they closed the Sapphire card.....Really hoping they open the accounts back up. Again any success storires about getting accounts closed for seeking new credit and new accounts.  It's not like I completyly burned them or anything

Message 18 of 180
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have about 15 inquries and the 12 new open accounts in a year.  That was wht the CR said to me and siad that my AAoA is too short which is why the accounts were closed. I thought about what one poster said maybe close a couple cards that I don't really need to show Chase that I will use their cards more in the future. But the thing is I mainly use my AMEX PRG so that I don't have much debt and the CSP....it really sucks that it was the day I got the RITZ that is happened and I only used it once to by something at MCDonalds and that's it.  I plan on paying down my CSP to about $500 currently its at $2300 and the Hyatt down to $200, it's only at $1200 and calling back in maybe 4 months to see what they say.  I get that opening new accounts right now isn't a good idea so defineyly won't be doing that(Was gonna garden for about 2 years after getting the Ritz anyways). Like I said just pisses me off that this happened, I've been responsible with the cards but not so much with the applying for new credit and still feel that that's not really a completly valid reason for closing my accounts. to make matters worse I'm pretty sure that Trip Delay claim I had been working on isn't gonna go through if they closed the Sapphire card.....Really hoping they open the accounts back up. Again any success storires about getting accounts closed for seeking new credit and new accounts.  It's not like I completyly burned them or anything

Do you have bank accounts with Chase? Also did you meet the bonus spend with all Chase cards? Any slight MS on Chase cards? 

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 19 of 180
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dang.. that would totally bum me out. Sorry OP. I know you're mad.

But.. c'mon.. 12 new accounts in 12 months?..
Message 20 of 180
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.