Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CHASE FREEDOM 1st CREDIT CARD HELP

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CHASE FREEDOM 1st CREDIT CARD HELP

@Aley89 wrote:
And I don't understand why it was easier to get the auto loan from chase with the conditions I had but now I'm applying 3 months later and they want to see some sort of credit card use.

Auto loans most likely have different underwriting criteria. Besides, an auto loan is secured via the auto. If you fail to pay, they repossess it. Credit cards are unsecured so the banks have to take a bigger risk.

Message 11 of 20
Aley89

That makes sense. Thanks
Message 12 of 20
striehl8212
Frequent Contributor

@Aley89 wrote:
That makes sense. Thanks

If you are willing to try another card, you could try the Discover It card. Discover was the first credit card company to give me a shot when all other companies, even the bank I bank with for years, turned me down. The 5% rotating categories are similar between the Freedom and the It, and Discover is a great comapny to work with! Something to think about. 

March 2014: EX 693 I EQ 672 I TU 694
September 2014: EX 721 I EQ 741 I TU 742
Message 13 of 20
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Aley89 wrote:
I've read on this forum where someone else was approved for a chase freedom card as a first card. I'm just hoping it would work for me too.

Did that person have recent derogs?  You can't just assume that if one person does something that another person can do the same unless they're in similar situations and similar means much more than just "applying for first card".  Two people applying for a first card can have very different credit profiles.  Payment History plays a major role in assessing credit so derogs will have a significant impact.

Have you done anything to address your derogs?  If you have not already then hit the Rebuilding subforum.

Message 14 of 20
Aley89

Oh I never even thought about that. I'll definitely consider it and look into it some more. Did you apply for it right after all the other institutions turned you down?
Message 15 of 20
striehl8212
Frequent Contributor

@Aley89 wrote:
Oh I never even thought about that. I'll definitely consider it and look into it some more. Did you apply for it right after all the other institutions turned you down?

Yeah, I did. I tried 3 or 4 different ones and all denied. I called Discover and applied on the phone to explain my situation. I just want a credit card to start my history..everyone has to start somewhere and I want it to be you guys.. yada yada yada. I think that made a difference because I got the 7-10 day message and she pushed it through and approved it.

EDIT-**I didn't have any derogatories or anything. Just no revolving history at all so that might make a difference, or it might not.** 

March 2014: EX 693 I EQ 672 I TU 694
September 2014: EX 721 I EQ 741 I TU 742
Message 16 of 20
Aley89

I haven't done anything to address my derogs from 1.5 years ago besides paying them. I
And I understand that everyone's case is different and that is why I am here to see if there is a possibility. I'll have to address that stuff on my credit report which I'm sure u can get advice from in the appropriate forum
Message 17 of 20
Aley89

I* ugh stupid grammar mistakes lol
Message 18 of 20
AvadaKedavra
Established Contributor

@Aley89 wrote:
I* ugh stupid grammar mistakes lol

(you can edit your post by clicking on the Options link on the top right of your post.)

Somtimes the only thing you can do to "address" some derogs is let time pass. Time and patience heals many credit wounds. 

Message 19 of 20
Aley89

Thanks what about trying to edit on the mobile website?
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.