Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CHASE FREEDOM CLOSED!?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CHASE FREEDOM CLOSED!?

You know honestly I do worry about that. Prior to me getting approved for the freedom card, I used to put over 1500 through my BOA secured card. Its was hard to do as my limit was only 500. I had to repay aggressively. I was so excited when I got approved for the freedom card as it gave me more wiggle room. Do you think I need to slow it down? I mean its like my every day card. I use it to pay bills over 1k an groceries shopping 600 split. 300 at wally world an the other half at a grocery store.

Message 81 of 97
jsucool76
Super Contributor

So I just looked at the T&Cs of the freedom, in both regular and private browsing (incognito). Nowhere did I see any of these new terms. 

Message 82 of 97
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@mitchblue wrote:

I don't get it why is buying a GC against the terms and conditions? Especially aound Christmas.

No where does it say buying gift cards is against the T&C. It essentially says, in broader terms, that manufactured spending is. 

As I've said in the 30,000 other threads before this one, there is two sides to every story. 

Every myfico thread should really need to be started with: 

"Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth" 

Okay thanks. That explains a lot. Of course I had no idea what manufactured spending was..I had to google it Smiley Surprised

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 83 of 97
NRB525
Super Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

Well I just bought $300 in southwest gift cards....

And I'm gonna buy another $300 pretty soon. xD

Also, all of these posts about accounts being shut down are coming from the Chase Social Media Team, simply to discourage anyone from MS. 

I'm thinking not. Remember when you signed up for MyFICO? You identified yourself specifically, these aren't easy accounts to set up.

And you could very well be fine with your GC purchases. There is not a definite identifier yet, just the excuse from Chase on GC.

For perspective: how long have you had your Freedom card? What other mix of non-bonus spend did you run in the last 6 months? The reason for the question is looking for some indication of profitability to Chase, as an innoculation to allow GC purchases.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 84 of 97
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have NEVER purchased a GC an never will using a CC. Especially after reading all this nonsence. I really don't see why people have HUGE CL's an large incomes north of 90k listed, but insist on cheating the system over a measly little $200.00 cash back. SMH.

Message 85 of 97
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Just last week I bought 2 GC (first GC ever) with my Discover it, Target, for my two nieces. Hope I don't get in trouble..

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 86 of 97
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You know honestly I do worry about that. Prior to me getting approved for the freedom card, I used to put over 1500 through my BOA secured card. Its was hard to do as my limit was only 500. I had to repay aggressively. I was so excited when I got approved for the freedom card as it gave me more wiggle room. Do you think I need to slow it down? I mean its like my every day card. I use it to pay bills over 1k an groceries shopping 600 split. 300 at wally world an the other half at a grocery store.

You are the customer they want to keep. The excuse of "too much bonus category spend" is intended to remove unprofitable customers. If you are running large spend in non-bonus categories, that is what they want to see. The GC could be just an easy reason to shut an account down that is too focused on bonus categories only.

Of course, in Q1 when Groceries becomes a category.... Smiley Tongue

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 87 of 97
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

Well I just bought $300 in southwest gift cards....

And I'm gonna buy another $300 pretty soon. xD

Also, all of these posts about accounts being shut down are coming from the Chase Social Media Team, simply to discourage anyone from MS. 

I'm thinking not. Remember when you signed up for MyFICO? You identified yourself specifically, these aren't easy accounts to set up.

And you could very well be fine with your GC purchases. There is not a definite identifier yet, just the excuse from Chase on GC.

For perspective: how long have you had your Freedom card? What other mix of non-bonus spend did you run in the last 6 months? The reason for the question is looking for some indication of profitability to Chase, as an innoculation to allow GC purchases.

Was a joke about the posts being from chase. 

Also, did any cardholders of these cards mentioned in the million miles secrets post RECEIVE this new version of the program rules and terms? I'm fairly certain they need to notify you when there has been a change, and if they haven't notified you, or presented you with the new terms and rules, they cant hold you responsible for breaking rules you didn't know existed. 

Sure they can close your account and cite some other BS reason ,or no reason if they so choose, in which case, as the rules state, "if your account is closed for any other reason (not pertaining to rewards program fraud/misuse) you will have access to, and be able to redeem your points for 30 days from the date of closure" 

Message 88 of 97
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Lexie or another Mod can easily tell us if some of these posts are coming from the same IPSmiley Happy

Message 89 of 97
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Funny thing these categories are CAPPED at 1500.... so they limit what did someone say $300 dollars a year cash back at most from bonus Cat?

Message 90 of 97
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.