Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CHASE SAPPHIRE PREFERRED WORRIES/CONCERNS

tag
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

Re: CHASE SAPPHIRE PREFERRED WORRIES/CONCERNS

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah--I had the Freedom Card when I was grad student in 2014--they approved it in the Chase Branch.  That first freedom card--is where many of my lates came from Smiley Sad

I closed that Freedom Card shortly after I paid it off in winter 2016. 

I applied for the Chase Freedom Unlimited in April 2017, and was approved for 1.5K.  Chase pulled experian I believed, and my score was 663.

As Far as the lates, I'm not sure the distinction--I just know that when I look at the Experian scores, they are reported as 30-60 day lates, so I assume that's the former of the two scenarios you mentioned.

Bureau scores:  693 Ex  688 Eq  702 TU

you had multiple 30+ lates with chase from 14-16 and they approved you for a card in 17?  do you still have the docs that came with the unlimited?  forget that score, its your internal chase risk score that they approve off of.  you fall outside the norm.  lucky you.  go to credit check total and post your scores and have you ever been late with the unlimited?

Message 21 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes....I agree I was fortunate with the FU.

I haven't been late at all with the FU--I PIF and early right after a transaction.  To increase odds for an auto CLI with the FU, I have for a couple times, charged 1/3 the limit then immediately paid it off before the due date.  Credit Check total--working on that; never heard of that site.

Message 22 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also....Is Credit Check Total a HP?   Always nervous about that---

Message 23 of 50
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Also....Is Credit Check Total a HP?   Always nervous about that---

no.  do not pay after a charge, use the card and pay it once a month.  be normal.  is there a chase branch near you?

Message 24 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

No chase bank near me--not within 60 miles lol--

Credit Check total scores:  TU 702 EQ 679 EX 693

Message 25 of 50
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

No chase bank near me--not within 60 miles lol--

Credit Check total scores:  TU 702 EQ 679 EX 693

60 mi is worth the drive when the time comes.  doing apps in branch carry some weight.  you are physically there for one, chase likes that + your app is on their internal system vs the net and sometimes pre-approvals show up.  no matter what the card I always app in-branch, their intranet is far better than the internet imo.  you have 27 accounts.  what is your total exposure for all these cards?  I would close anything you don't need.  close all store and gas cards to start with.  get lean and mean, only have cards that have purpose. nobody needs that many cards unless you are just a collector in which case I cannot help you.  call up and cancel the trial or email help at creditchecktotal dot com and include your account #, last 4 of your ssn, dob and last 4 #s on the card you used.  your scores are quite good, relax and in time good things with come of your profile.  great credit boils down to this: never be late.

Message 26 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bourgogne wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks all!

I'm glad I asked and didn't pull the trigger; I thought I may have had a shot because I applied for that Freedom Unlimited Card in April when my scores were actually a bit lower (and right before I began the house hunt).  Hopefully my PIF and consistent early pays will get me an auto CLI on the Freedom Unlimited.

In the meantime...here's to working to get those negatives removed from the report....

hum not so fast, I only caught you had closed a freedom not that you had a FU,  what is your risk score from the FU docs that came with the card and these lates you speak of, are they reported lates or the kind that you just paid late?  do you have your actual 3B scores?  its all in the details

Freedom and CSP have different underwriting standards.

When I was originally approved for my Freedom, my Experian score was 643 with 2 unpaid chargeoffs and a handful of collections.

That was over 2 years ago. I would have never of been approved for the CSP at that time. Many people get Freedom with dirty files. But not CSP.

Message 27 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bourgogne wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks all!

I'm glad I asked and didn't pull the trigger; I thought I may have had a shot because I applied for that Freedom Unlimited Card in April when my scores were actually a bit lower (and right before I began the house hunt).  Hopefully my PIF and consistent early pays will get me an auto CLI on the Freedom Unlimited.

In the meantime...here's to working to get those negatives removed from the report....

hum not so fast, I only caught you had closed a freedom not that you had a FU,  what is your risk score from the FU docs that came with the card and these lates you speak of, are they reported lates or the kind that you just paid late?  do you have your actual 3B scores?  its all in the details

Yep, this changes things. You never mentioned reapplying and getting the FU.

if he is the type that edits posts to make us think we are crazy then he is not welcome here lol.  maybe we did not notice it.

It was there, I saw it. He did not edit anything. 

Message 28 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My bad--thought I included that info lol

You did include in your original post that you have the Chase FU. And that original post has not been edited.

The people reading and responding, slow down and read the original post and you would have known.

Message 29 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Greetings, all--

So...I badly want to apply for the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card.  This is the last card I want until I get further into my career and my income goes up and I get into "elite" credit profile status (770+). I have the Chase Freedom Unlimited which I applied for in April 2017 (1.5K limit; pay off balance in full early each month). And I have a Barclaycard, which was recently auto-updated to the Barclaycard with Apple (2K; zero balance).  There is also a mix of store cards (Brooks Brothers, Amazon Prime etc) all of which are zero balances.

Background info:  702 transunion, 693 Experian and 672 Equifax;
Combined income with my wife is 107-108K (I make 68K);
I have 10 inquiries (3 of which are old, and should drop off over the next month or two; and my wife and I just bought a house);
There are around 8 late pays (I'm a recovering grad student), but these lates were over a year ago, and I've been current since that time;
My credit utilization is 5%
I have around 27 open accounts, including my new mortage; oldest is 15 years

No collections
I had a Chase Freedom, but that one I closed, foolishly around 3 years ago.

I am a Chase Customer, and I've been with them since the end of college, so hopefully that helps me, but generally speaking, do I have a shot?  I'm thinking my utilization is my saving grace, but should I wait a bit longer to work my score up some more?  I am about to make an early payment on a furniture credit line that will cut the balance in half, further lowering my util. 

Any sage advice, I'd appreciate.

Third sentence the OP made it clear that he/she has the FU.

Message 30 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.