Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CHASE Southwest or CHASE freedom?!?!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CHASE Southwest or CHASE freedom?!?!

I am deluged with offers for both cards and want to pull the trigger and see what happens. Any opinions of which card is better to have? I am liking the 40,000 bonus points of the southwest card offer and I like the $200 cash back after first purhcase of the Freedom card.

Current Info: 756 Experian (thru Experian)

696 Equfax Fico

676 Transunion Fico

-- Overall Credit Util a bit high at 40-50% (just becuase I contantly use my card)

-- One Baddie, $450.00 unpaid medical collection from 5 yrs ago. ONLY shows up on EQ & TU (Have tried to PFD with no luck)

-- One open credit card account (8 yrs old, $1500.00 credit limit/ $700.00 balance)

-- One recently closed credit card account (14 yrs old 2000.00 limit / $400.00 balance)

-- Zero inquiries

Do I have a chance with either of these or are they out of reach at this time according to my numbers?? hate to burn my first inquiry if the general opinion is not favorable.

ALSO ---- would a Bof A rewards card or CITI be the same type of thing?? I receive offers for AMEX GOLD card every few weeks as well but I guess i am a bit trigger shy ---- ANY comments would be useful and very appreciated , thanks!!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Ron1
Super Contributor

Re: CHASE Southwest or CHASE freedom?!?!

You might want to get Chase Southwest if you fly a lot on Southwest. By the way, they charge AF.  They might denied you because high utilization.  They pulled TU when I applied for Chase Freedom Visa.  It might tougher to get approved if you don't have any Chase card.

I haven't tried to apply for any BofA lately and they pulled both EQ and TU for CLI.  Don't know about Citi.  I heard Amex is pretty easy to get for their charge card even with no perfect credit history. I would say to try to apply for Green/Zync. They usually pull EXP and sometimes they pull all three.

Ron.

Message 2 of 6
daylove
Regular Contributor

Chase Southwest is great but it requires a 720 TU for approval.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats exactly the kind of insight I was looking for ----- thanks for the replies, that helps a great deal!!

What about going for a Barclays card or Nordstrom store card ---- would I be more in line for one of those and work my way up to the others?? I figure by paying off my card limits that should push me up to a better number by the next card statements. Would be interested to hear your comments on those as well (or other cards , if you are so giving!?!?!)

THANKS!

Message 4 of 6
Ron1
Super Contributor

You might be able to get Barclays with your score. You might need to call them to reconsider if you denied. I'm not sure about Nordstrom and they only approved 2K  for Visa almost ten years.  I think they pulled both EXP and TU.  My advice is to pay down the debt and you should be able to get some card if your utilization keeps under 10%.

Ron.

Message 5 of 6
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

I don't think you will be able to get a Chase CC with your current infor (score). UTIL is high at 40-50%, you need to get that down to 15% or less when apping for a higher success rate of approval or you will be wasting a hard IQ. You also have 1 baddie, prime banks don't like baddies with very, very few exceptions.

You may have better luck with Barclays Priceline Rewards - but if you want a high CL $4K plus...make sure you get your TU score above 700s.

Good luck....

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.