Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CITI AAdvantage PC?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CITI AAdvantage PC?

I recently got approved for the Citi AAdvantage a few months ago and hit the spend to get my bonus miles for an upcoming trip. My question is, and I am not sure if I would even do this since I fly American Airlines once or twice every year....but would it be possible to PC to a double cash, or not since it is a co-branded card?

thanks

4 REPLIES 4
csryang
Frequent Contributor

Re: CITI AAdvantage PC?

@Anonymous wrote:

I recently got approved for the Citi AAdvantage a few months ago and hit the spend to get my bonus miles for an upcoming trip. My question is, and I am not sure if I would even do this since I fly American Airlines once or twice every year....but would it be possible to PC to a double cash, or not since it is a co-branded card?

thanks

I believe you need to wait a year before any PCing.

You can always call and said you are considering canceling the card. They will try to keep you by offering retention bonus or help you switch to another card. 

I am not sure you can switch within 1 year though. 

I have two personal data points within Citi that they allow PC from cobrand to main brand or main brand to cobrand or cobrand to cobrand.  

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay awesome, great info to keep in mind, I would have probably waited a little bit anyway's as we are planning a trip in november as well as one early next year, just wanted to make sure I had that option. Kind of makes my Chase FU I just got irrelevant if I PC'd to double cash, but I could always PC the Chase card to something else I suppose? If you PC a credit card, does it close the old account on your CB or stay the same as far as info?

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

one year wait :/ I would recommend seeing if they will let you PC to the Citi Dividend. It does 5% CB on certain catergories like the Chase Freedom. Plenty of 2%+ CB cards out there is more difficult to get 5%. 

Message 4 of 5
csryang
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Okay awesome, great info to keep in mind, I would have probably waited a little bit anyway's as we are planning a trip in november as well as one early next year, just wanted to make sure I had that option. Kind of makes my Chase FU I just got irrelevant if I PC'd to double cash, but I could always PC the Chase card to something else I suppose? If you PC a credit card, does it close the old account on your CB or stay the same as far as info?

Every credit card company does PC differently. With Citi, PCing will not create a new account on your credit report. It will be the same credit profile/account. 

However, there are instances that you will be offered a new account number/credit card number with Citi. Just ask them, and they will tell you. Typically, if you switch from VISA to mastercard or vice versa, you will receive a card with new credit card number. However, it will not be reported as a new account on your credit report.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.