Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CITI Bank Restitution Letter?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CITI Bank Restitution Letter?

So, long story short. In 2012 I opened a small business and my credit was not so good, so my father opened a card and put me on as an authorized user and let me use the card to pay for excess expenses. Well, eventually we kept getting frauded on the card and ended up closing the card with a 6k balance. I promised my father I'd pay it back, and I have been for the past 3 years. The amount always came out of my bank account without me having to really think about it or look into it too much. But it so happens I forgot to change my bank account on the credit card payments, so the payments are past due. I called Citi and set up new payment arrangements and the lady kept repeating "You are not legally responsible for this debt." And I said, no, just morally responsible. However I just received this letter in the mail that says:

"Recently we were notifed that you opened an account with us under the name of (my dad's name). We would like to establish a Restituion Agreement in your name to repay the balance. Enclosed is an Acknowledgement of Responsibility which you much complete and return within 15 days from the date of this letter. Once the new account is established, you will receive monthly billing statements and will be responsible for making payments until the balance is paid in full."

I owe a total of $1,000 on the card. I spoke to my father who says he spoke to Citi because they called him and he told them that he opened the card, but that the balance was my responsibility per our verbal agreement when I opened the card.

You guys might know more of what to do. Should I just call up Citi and try to get this paid off ASAP? They want me to write down my social security number and stuff to send this letter back to them which I personally am not comfortable with. I plan on calling them as soon as they're open tomorrow morning to speak with someone and find out what I can do. I don't mind paying the amount back, I don't even mind it being on my credit because in my mind my dad did me an amazing favor and I'm grateful. I'm just confused why they would send this.. 

Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5
darwin_wins
Established Contributor

Re: CITI Bank Restitution Letter?

Why didn't you just give money to your dad and he made the payments? If you can, give him the money and ask him to pay it through his account so you don't have to send in any info. 

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

My dad likes 2 things in life. Anything about the Titanic and NOT dealing with anyone over the phone. He also sees this as my responsibility, so he feels he should not have to do any work when it comes to this. And I agree! I'm calling them tomorrow on this and seeing if I can go into a branch and hand in the information as long as they amend some words in the restitution letter. Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why do anything?? I mean honestly, what can they do to you unless you actually sign and send the letter in. Just keep paying it like you are and let it be.

All they are trying to do with that letter is get you to legally accept responsibility for the debt. Just ignore it. 

now if your father wants you to do it then I would say your will have to evaluate your morals at that point and make your decision.

Message 4 of 6
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

Keep paying the way your going... it's not worth the head ache of sending documentation in, you're not legally required to send it in so don't... cut back a little and pay the 1,000 balance extra fast but still at a pace you're comfortable with.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

What did you decide to do OP? Please come back and update your thread. Thanks in advance!Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.