Did you mean: 

CITI Cards

tag
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: CITI Cards

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Hockeyplayrr wrote:

unless you are going to redeem thank you points for gift cards.  They seem to be pretty worthless.  Statement credit only gets you about 50 cents per point.   Making the 2x dining and entertainment category equal to only 1% cash back...

Mortgage/Student loan redemptions (which don't need either a mortgage or a student loan) work fine at 1c per point.

dont they make the check payable to the bank? how do you cash it?

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 11 of 20
enharu
Super Contributor

@B335is wrote:
I would advise anybody remotely thinking of the Citi AAdvantage card to take into consideration American's massive devaluation of reward travel. Partner awards havent been changed yet but that will be the next shoe to drop.

+1. most likely they'll devalue it within the next couple months. Hopefully they'll notify us ahead of time though. The ninja move was just downright shady. 

Luckily, I redeemed most of my AA miles last week for a trip to HK! Gonna be attending the Mnet music awards this year. I was gonna apply for a 2nd AA exec card, but I guess it's not as compelling of an offer now.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 12 of 20
Alaskagurl
New Contributor

I hope they don't devalue partnet awards. IF, they do I will close the card and use CSP or NFCU Flagship 2x rewards and pick the cheapest flights!

Message 13 of 20
Shock
Established Contributor

Im looking to PC when my one year anniversary hits. The AA Advantage seems like the best out of em all. But I don't anticipate flying American too much. It would be sweet if it had no annual fee.

EDIT: Now that I learned they will devalue AA miles, no cards look good to me anymore. And my CDP is pretty useless.

photo myfico_zpsd00088cb.jpg
Message 14 of 20
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@Alaskagurl wrote:

I hope they don't devalue partnet awards. IF, they do I will close the card and use CSP or NFCU Flagship 2x rewards and pick the cheapest flights!

It's not so much a matter of IF they will devalue partner awards, but WHEN they will be devalued - hopefully months away - but I certainly wouldn't sit on those miles for too long.

Message 15 of 20
Hockeyplayrr
Frequent Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Hockeyplayrr wrote:

unless you are going to redeem thank you points for gift cards.  They seem to be pretty worthless.  Statement credit only gets you about 50 cents per point.   Making the 2x dining and entertainment category equal to only 1% cash back...

Mortgage/Student loan redemptions (which don't need either a mortgage or a student loan) work fine at 1c per point.

yeah how do you go about this? I have a bunch of points just sitting there.

Credit Scores: Equifax - 744 (Oct FICO) | Experian 736(Oct Fico) | Transunion - 755(Oct Fico)

Credit Lines: Diners Club 20k | Penfed Plat Rewards 7k | SDFCU 5k | Amex BCE - 10.5k | Chase Freedom 4.5k | CSP - 10.6k | Discover IT - 9k | Sallie Mae 3.8k | BofA 123 - 4.9k | CITI Double Cash 9.1k | Total Rewards 3.25k
Message 16 of 20
iwazl71
Frequent Contributor

@ozjulian wrote:

Between the CITI TYP and CITI HiltonHonors or CITI AA Platinum.

What would be the best card among the 3? Thanks

I say the Hilton Reserve.  I got the Reserve about a year ago and and so far have spent about 5k on it.  In return, I got 2 weekend nights which I spent on a nice weekend 5 star hotel in New York, and also about 150k points which earned 3 nights at a real nice 4 star hotel.  That was about $2000 in hotel rewards.

Scores: EQ 796, EX 790, TU 807
Personal and Business Cards: 31 with 763k
High Limit Cards: CSP 50k | BoA Cash 81k | NFCU flagship 60k | Penfed Rewards 50k | Aviator Silver 52k
Message 17 of 20
NoAnchoviesPlease
Established Contributor

@Hockeyplayrr wrote:

@enharu wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Hockeyplayrr wrote:

I got several thousand dollars in student loan "rebates" this way from TYP, just had to call in, give the name of my servicer, and they mailed me the check. Then I wrote my account number on it and mailed it in. This was probably 5+ years ago at least. And since you're sending a check it counts toward your payments, unlike a rewards statement credit. 

12/29/2015 669/696/706
01/10/2016 698/711/730 but still to and fro a bit

Climbing to 700 and beyond. It's too cold for gardening.
Message 18 of 20
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@NoAnchoviesPlease wrote:

@Hockeyplayrr wrote:

@enharu wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Hockeyplayrr wrote:

I got several thousand dollars in student loan "rebates" this way from TYP, just had to call in, give the name of my servicer, and they mailed me the check. Then I wrote my account number on it and mailed it in. This was probably 5+ years ago at least. And since you're sending a check it counts toward your payments, unlike a rewards statement credit. 

Yes, but that is the good "correct" way, which is not what I am referring to!

But similarly, I redeemed 110,250 TYP, calling up the Thank You Center and saying I wanted a Mortgage check redemption.  They asked who the holder is and whether they are OK accepting partial payments.   I gave the name of Bank of America and said yes.   A few days later, three checks ($1000, $100 and $25) come to my house, payable to Bank of America.   I just sign and deposit in my checking account, either via smartphone or ATM.

Some people deposit real stuff this way, writing the Bank name as payee, so it is nothing special.

Now Citi could tighten up, and see from my CR for example that my mortgage is with Wells Fargo, but people have done this for quite a while, so probably not on their priority list to fix

Message 19 of 20
NoAnchoviesPlease
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Yes, but that is the good "correct" way, which is not what I am referring to!

But similarly, I redeemed 110,250 TYP, calling up the Thank You Center and saying I wanted a Mortgage check redemption.  They asked who the holder is and whether they are OK accepting partial payments.   I gave the name of Bank of America and said yes.   A few days later, three checks ($1000, $100 and $25) come to my house, payable to Bank of America.   I just sign and deposit in my checking account, either via smartphone or ATM.

Some people deposit real stuff this way, writing the Bank name as payee, so it is nothing special.

Now Citi could tighten up, and see from my CR for example that my mortgage is with Wells Fargo, but people have done this for quite a while, so probably not on their priority list to fix

Ah, I completely missed that bit of the details Smiley Happy That would've been nice some months, although paying down the student loan was also good. Smiley Happy 

12/29/2015 669/696/706
01/10/2016 698/711/730 but still to and fro a bit

Climbing to 700 and beyond. It's too cold for gardening.
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.