Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CITI DENIED....RECON CHANCES??

tag
rom828
Established Contributor

CITI DENIED....RECON CHANCES??

Apped for Platinum Select in response to pre-approved offer because of the 15 mos 0% BT. 

I want   the 15 mos BT to help me pay my  debt  off (home repair related)  sooner

Was denied Smiley Sad for 2 reasons:    1) PR on report ($500 paid State Tax lien which will delete 3-11)     (2) balances on revolving too high (30% utilzation)

I tried calling, but like davidsawsparks related in his post, I got a foreign speaking person reading from a script who advised me I can re-apply in 60 days though they only keep report for 30, and yada yada.  No conversation really.....just kept stating exactly what was already stated in denial email and inviting me to re-apply.

I was going to leave  this alone, but after re-reading david's post and some others, I'm thinking of continuing with re-con efforts.

I'm interested to learn if anyone's been approved lately with utilization in the range of 30%.   Obviously from davidsaw's post, Citi doesnt like 0%, but they didn't like my 30% either.  I really didn't expect that to be an issue since they're offering BT as an incentive, and I logically would think   that people looking for BT probably have some utlization!!

If trying to re-con is just going to be an exercise in futility because Citi absolutely won't budge on utilization and/or presence of a PR (even an old one), then I won't wear myself out trying to get through to a supervisor.  If on the other hand, any of you have had success, then I'd carve out the time to give it another go.

I'd be grateful if anyone with recent re-con experience/success would chime in!!

FICOS: TU 732(05-16-16) EQ '08 739( 05-16-16) EX 737 (08-17-16)
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
OnTheRebound
Established Contributor

Re: CITI DENIED....RECON CHANCES??

@rom828 wrote:

Apped for Platinum Select in response to pre-approved offer because of the 15 mos 0% BT. 

I want   the 15 mos BT to help me pay my  debt  off (home repair related)  sooner

Was denied Smiley Sad for 2 reasons:    1) PR on report ($500 paid State Tax lien which will delete 3-11)     (2) balances on revolving too high (30% utilzation)

I tried calling, but like davidsawsparks related in his post, I got a foreign speaking person reading from a script who advised me I can re-apply in 60 days though they only keep report for 30, and yada yada.  No conversation really.....just kept stating exactly what was already stated in denial email and inviting me to re-apply.

I was going to leave  this alone, but after re-reading david's post and some others, I'm thinking of continuing with re-con efforts.

I'm interested to learn if anyone's been approved lately with utilization in the range of 30%.   Obviously from davidsaw's post, Citi doesnt like 0%, but they didn't like my 30% either.  I really didn't expect that to be an issue since they're offering BT as an incentive, and I logically would think   that people looking for BT probably have some utlization!!

If trying to re-con is just going to be an exercise in futility because Citi absolutely won't budge on utilization and/or presence of a PR (even an old one), then I won't wear myself out trying to get through to a supervisor.  If on the other hand, any of you have had success, then I'd carve out the time to give it another go.

I'd be grateful if anyone with recent re-con experience/success would chime in!!

I don't believe you were denied because of the paid tax lien but rather because of  high utilization.

Let me give you the short version of my credit history.

Back in 2000/2003, after being in business for 28 years several key customers either closed, moved out of state or went bankrupt. My income went from well over six figures to almost nothing in 2 to 3 years. I finally gave up in 2003 and closed shop with no job prospects.

In the meantime approximately 10 credit cards, both business and personal went bad. I also had a truck repo in 2003 (this was the deciding factor for closing my business). A Fedral Tax Lien was filed in 2004 still unpaid. Only two credit cards were joint accounts with my wife, JCPenny(GEMB) opened in 1997 and Shell (Citi) opened in 1994. These are still reporting on my CR's. Never late on these accounts. I paid these off and closed them. The rest were charged off and went to collections. I ignored all Collection Agency mail and phone calls. Never responded to any of them. To this day I'm amazed that not one of them sued me. I do not recomend anyone handling their credit problems this way. But it worked for me, thanks to my wife. People asked why I didn't just file BK. The truth of the matter was I didn't have the money. One by one the SOL past. Then they started to fall off my reports. The last bad one fell on 12/2010.

I haven't had a credit card in my own name since these accounts were closed. However, I have been an AU on my wife's five accounts, all in good standing, never late, never over the limit. Always PIF except for the no interest promotions. Utilization under 3%.

I figured if I ever was offered a credit card it would be something like First Premier? with monthly fees, annual fees and outrageous interest rates of 80% with a credit limit of $100.00

Last week, to my surprise, I recieved a preapproval for the Citi Platinum Select MC, get a response in 60 seconds. I double checked my reports and the only bad thing was the tax lien. I'm an AU on all the open accounts. No accounts in my name, with the acception of the two above named closed accounts. I finally decided to pull the trigger and WOW! instantly approved for 8.7K. I'm still beside myself. I can't help but think that the Citi/Shell account, opened in '94' still reporting had something to do with my approval.

So, no, I dont think it was the paid tax lien that was the cause of the denial. If you can, keep your utilization as low as possible. Good luck on your recon.

EQ- 714

Trans- 765

Amex BCE $11.1 / Citi Diamond Preferred WMC $12K / Citi Double Cash WMC $3.8K / Comenity Total Rewards Visa $2.5K / Citi Home Depot $5K / AU- Amex BCP $12K / Chase Freedom Visa $11014.00 / PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature $6K / GE Lowes $10K
myFico Scores on 10/03/2014
Eq 798 / Exp 811 / Trans 814
CCT Fico 08 on 1/3/16 - Trans 786 / Exp 793 / Eq 797
Message 2 of 6
rom828
Established Contributor

Thanks, OTR!

And congrats on the new card!   That's gotta feel great!!!    In 2001  DH and I went through situation similar to yours  with our business, so I can relate!

Even having the PR on my report is frustrating, because we've never found any reason for it.   It showed up on late 2005 reports. And believe me, I would never play around with paying  taxes...and this lien was only $508.

State  just shows it was filed in 1998 (nothing in my records 'jive' with that) and that it was paid by 'offset of refund' which again my records don't show. We  went  back and forth with the state so may times to no avail,  so I finally just gave up and am waiting for it to drop next year.   It's the only baddie either one of us has on our reports.

But I totally  agree that the PR is not the real culprit,  because I've read several posts about Citi approval with a PR, even rather recent ones.

I'm just looking to see if anyone out there has been able to recon when utilization was the issue. 

As I stated, I'm really interested in this card because of the 0% BT which will help me get my utilization down faster (and cheaper!!).  I hate to waste the inq, but I hate more to waste my time if there's absolutely no way Citi would re-con.

Message 3 of 6
davidsawsparks
Contributor

If you call for recon, you have to demand to talk to a supervisor. Even after they try to tell you the same thing over and over, you have the right to speak with their supervisor. Be extremely nice with sugar and spice. The CSR really have no ability to make any decisions and they are tied to the script on their screen. Ask to speak with a supervisor. Good luck.

Message 4 of 6
rom828
Established Contributor

@davidsawsparks wrote:

If you call for recon, you have to demand to talk to a supervisor. Even after they try to tell you the same thing over and over, you have the right to speak with their supervisor. Be extremely nice with sugar and spice. The CSR really have no ability to make any decisions and they are tied to the script on their screen. Ask to speak with a supervisor. Good luck.

Gotcha!  Does it matter which number you call ?   

I used the credit dept # from this forum's  backdoor list, but there are several other  #s  on that list , ie: app status, app approval status, retention. 

Do you recall which one you called  when you were able to get a supervisor.....or does it not matter which number??

Message 5 of 6
davidsawsparks
Contributor

@rom828 wrote:

@davidsawsparks wrote:

Gotcha!  Does it matter which number you call ?   

I used the credit dept # from this forum's  backdoor list, but there are several other  #s  on that list , ie: app status, app approval status, retention. 

Do you recall which one you called  when you were able to get a supervisor.....or does it not matter which number??

I used this number from the backdoor number thread: Citi: 888-201-4523 (New App Approval Status). I don't think it matters though... I believe all the numbers go to the same CSR call center in the Philippines. If you ask for a supervisor, the call should transfer back to someone in the USA as long as you are calling during normal business hours.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.