Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CITI Diamond Preferred MC and EMV Chip

tag
thom02099
Valued Contributor

CITI Diamond Preferred MC and EMV Chip

Anyone getting a new CDP card with the EMV chip and notice a difference in the card's appearance (besides the obvious!)

The colour of the card is a different black and it seems to have a sort of mini-polka dot/pixel type effect to it, moreso than the "textured" effect of the non-EMV card. 

I know in the scheme of things this isn't a big deal, but it just struck me as being odd that they would make a change to the appearance beyond the inclusion of the EMV chip. 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
pdog661
Frequent Contributor

Re: CITI Diamond Preferred MC and EMV Chip

Hi...... I have it with the chip, a nd my wife has the non chip version.

Very different in my opinion.  The dots barely appear on the non chip version, and the chipped version is a pokka dot pattern.

Personally I like the look s of the non checkered version.

Message 2 of 13
enharu
Super Contributor

did you just got approved or they sent u a card with EMV because u requested one?
Is EMV standard in all CDP cards now?
they have been sending me offers for CDP but i threw them away because it was a no-rewards card. I will definitely apply if there's EMV since I travel overseas quite a bit.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 13
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

I don't have that, but did request a chip for the ThankYou Preferred card and it is darker and a little different texture than before.

Message 4 of 13
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

What does the EMV chip mean?
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 5 of 13
enharu
Super Contributor

its a small electronic chip on the cards.

most places in EU and asia use that instead of the magnetic strip so its a lot more convenient if you travel a lot.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 13
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Ohh okay. Would it be useful to have in the US?
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 7 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
Ohh okay. Would it be useful to have in the US?

Not anytime in the immediate future.  Figure someday it'll happen but it could literally be years.

I only pursued getting an EMV chip in the somewhat rare event that I get sent to Europe to open a new datacenter for one of the folks I work for; however, it's an admittedly low probability for me and as a result is simply a precaution.

        
Message 8 of 13
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Ahhh okay!

well, maybe our US merchants need to get on it!! Sounds like the EMV is a cool, efficient feature!!!! My Citi Dia Pref already has the texture the ops are describing though lol

Message 9 of 13
dodgeball
Established Contributor

It is not even nessary in Europe, almost all terminals  are swipe and sighn still and the ones that are pin only still let you swipe and sighn

NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

Other Cards - Citibank AAdvantage, Chase Slate, Barclays Rewards,

IN THE GARDEN UNTIL APRIL 2014

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.