Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CITI PULLING A FAST ONE, NEED HELP!!!

tag
tray
Valued Contributor

CITI PULLING A FAST ONE, NEED HELP!!!

I went online this morning to pay my bill and noticed there was a notation on the account stating a new card will be sent to me in a couple of weeks, found this strange as my cl was just increased to $8,000.00 this month. I called Citi to find out what was going on and I was told a New World Mastercard was being sent to me, right there just sent me off the edge, I told the rep I was not interested and I did not want a new card, the rep stated she could not do anything as if it was too early to stop the process, I then asked to speak with a supervisor, and now I am waiting for this supervisor to call me back as he is looking into things,  I also was into a conversation with this supervisor that I could not be producted changed to a Dividended Card but Citi can easily convert me to a card they want me to have, and you know the first words out of his mouth was the CREDIT ACT.  First off, I have heard stories about the World Mastercard which was not very good and I gather this would just benefit Citi and not the consumer.  Has anyone gone through this senerio and what was the outcome, does anyone have the Citi World Mastercard what are your thoughts  Thanks my fico friends for any information.

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: CITI PULLING A FAST ONE, NEED HELP!!!

Not all World MC's (or Visa Signatures) have the screwy reporting, but as I recall, the Citi ones generally do. Smiley Sad I could well be wrong about this, and we'll need some more posts about this. Mine from USAA and BofA report like normal cards.

Oftentimes, it's going to or above a $5K CL that triggers this.

The CCC's make more money in transaction fees from these cards; thus the let's-cram-it-down-the-throats-of-consumers mentality.

You might be able to get it back to a normal reporting status by requesting a CLD to just under $5K, but it seems a shame to do this. I'd keep calling and politely requesting supervisors. Most CSR's have no clue about the reporting issues, and neither do most consumers, thus you'll get a lot of dubious info when you call.

There's a recent forums blog about this which might give you some more info (and ammo.) Good luck!

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 21
Woolfman
Established Contributor

@tray wrote:

I went online this morning to pay my bill and noticed there was a notation on the account stating a new card will be sent to me in a couple of weeks, found this strange as my cl was just increased to $8,000.00 this month. I called Citi to find out what was going on and I was told a New World Mastercard was being sent to me, right there just sent me off the edge, I told the rep I was not interested and I did not want a new card, the rep stated she could not do anything as if it was too early to stop the process, I then asked to speak with a supervisor, and now I am waiting for this supervisor to call me back as he is looking into things,  I also was into a conversation with this supervisor that I could not be producted changed to a Dividended Card but Citi can easily convert me to a card they want me to have, and you know the first words out of his mouth was the CREDIT ACT.  First off, I have heard stories about the World Mastercard which was not very good and I gather this would just benefit Citi and not the consumer.  Has anyone gone through this senerio and what was the outcome, does anyone have the Citi World Mastercard what are your thoughts  Thanks my fico friends for any information.

You know i got the same message. I guess ill have to call them to see if the same is happening to me . Mine is a Platinum select MC with a 12.5k CL

Message 3 of 21
DI
Super Contributor

I think the message 'a new card is being sent' to everyone who's card is expected to expire soon.  I see the same message when I log in.  Not a big deal.

Message 4 of 21
Woolfman
Established Contributor

nope the OP is right , im currently on the phone with Citi.  my card doesnt expire until 1/2012.  The rep did say i could stop it and im on hold waiting for them to process my request to not be   "upgraded". So i will see if she knows what she is talking about and can/does stop my "upgrade". 

Outcome is no upgrade for me . Smiley Very Happy  sure the no set spending limit and such she was trying to sell me on sounds nice . But the idea of carrying any balance on this card will make it look like its maxed out constantly is a deal killer.

Message 5 of 21
tray
Valued Contributor

First off I just want the THANK everyone for your insight, I am still waiting on this supervisor from Citi to call me back as he said he would, to see if this can be stopped, Congrats WoolfmanSmiley Happy although believe me I will not GIVE UP. Also my card is no where due to be expired, also I hope there will be some recourse for me as I do not want this upgrade and did not ask for it, and Citi never notified me to ask my opinion about this other than to just give it no questions asked, I'll keep this forum posted

Message 6 of 21
william23
Regular Contributor

They can do a deconversion. Make sure you talk to 2nd tier. Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 21
tray
Valued Contributor

@william23 wrote:
They can do a deconversion. Make sure you talk to 2nd tier. Smiley Happy

This is the exact wording deconversion that the 1st rep mentioned that I spoke with stating it was to early and she was not able to do this, then I asked to speak with a supervisor (still awaiting his call as I am writing this) , although can I ask what do you mean by 2nd tier? Thanks

Message 8 of 21
Woolfman
Established Contributor

i would just call them back. I didnt speak to someone above the normal rep and i got it done within just a few minutes. I say try your luck and call back again.

Message 9 of 21
DI
Super Contributor

I inquired about my new card being sent and this is the message I received. 

This new card replaces your existing card. You will notice that we have added the prestigious

Platinium designation to your card design and proactively extended your expiration date by another year. An insert may have been included in your card package with another overview of the enhanced benefits you received in August.?

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.