Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CITI'S GLOBAL CHIP?

tag
tray
Valued Contributor

CITI'S GLOBAL CHIP?

Hi everyone, I am taking a trip to europe this summer and want to inquire to see if I can get a global chip with citi and was wondering if anyone knows of a good backdoor number I can use to speak with a higher rep about this, the backdoor numbers thread seem to be towards new accounts/ and retention, thanks for any information.

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
ArisGreek
Frequent Contributor

Re: CITI'S GLOBAL CHIP?

When I got it I just talked to a normal customer service person. Not all cards are eligible for it. Plus it seems you need to meet a certain criteria -- whatever that is. I got it on my TY Preferred card last year but recently PCed to Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select VISA and got it on that. 

===========
TU: 745(TU98) | EQ: 774 | EX: ? | NO BADDIES!
What's in my wallet? AMEX Platinum, United Presidential Plus World Elite MC, AMEX JetBlue, Nordstrom Visa Sig, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, AMEX Zync, Citi AAdvantage Plat Select Visa, Banana Republic, Home Depot
Message 2 of 5
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

I'm kinda surprised that the USA has not transitioned to chip and pin systems like Europe has. In the US having a chip is something special and unique, while in Europe every single card will have them. If they want to charge you a fee for it I would refuse as their European branches/subsidiaries provide them for no additional cost.

“The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.” ~Unknown
Citi Prestige World Elite Mastercard ($35,000.00), Merrill+ Visa Signature ($25,000.00), Amex BCP ($29,700.00), Amex Green (NPSL), Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard ($10,000.00), Chase Ink Business Bold (NPSL)
TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EX (Plus) - 777 (10/21/2013)
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 3 of 5
john398
Senior Contributor

@espnjunkie wrote:

I'm kinda surprised that the USA has not transitioned to chip and pin systems like Europe has. In the US having a chip is something special and unique, while in Europe every single card will have them. If they want to charge you a fee for it I would refuse as their European branches/subsidiaries provide them for no additional cost.

This article has some insite,basicly it would cost a lot of money to change all the readers and with USA bank regulations the banks still maybe liable

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/credit-cards/are-chip-and-pin-credit-cards-coming-2.aspx

Message 4 of 5
bribro
Valued Contributor

I have not yet physically received it, but I recently upgraded my Citi Dividend World MC to a Dividend World Elite MC, and requested an EMV chip to boot (the rep told me no problem). The new card should be arriving in early June.

I did the World Elite upgrade and EMV chip addition in one phone call. I just dialed the number on the back of the card and immediately asked for an account manager. One interesting thing to note, the account manager I spoke to said that in addition to my EMV chip card, they would include a separate, tiny chip for MC's PayPass conactless payment technology.

You can read about the details of my situation here: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Citi-World-to-World-Elite-MasterCard/td-p/1286397/page/...

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.